Sign in to follow this  

changed water pump seals still leaking???

i have an 02 400 and i replaced the water pump seals and carrier and now the water pump is leaking more out of the weep hole than before...need some help please

the 2 o-rings on the carrier are different sizes. if you get them backwards you get leakage, also very important to use loc-tite 515 for the valve cover sealant. as some case sealants like gray bond are to thick and will allow seepage past o-rings

Sounds like you either got the orings in the wrong places, warped the inner seals when installing them or maybe knicked one of the orings while pushing the seal in. Check out my how-to on this job at the URL at the bottom of this post.

I had the same problem on my 2003 450 EXC. Like jeb said, if you don't get the two inner seals in there flush, it will leak. Steve from Lansing Cycle told me they also put the Loctite 515 on the carrier where the O-rings seat in before you put them into the groove, and then put a thin layer on the outside. It also will help keep the rear O-ring on if you are using the updated carrier. Make sure the hole on the carrier is at the bottom too. You probably will want to change the oil too, in case any coolant got into the motor. If you do all of this and it still leaks, try replacing the radiator cap. Might be bad and causing pressure to build up. Maybe some of this will help. Good luck!