Sign in to follow this  

Time for my Happy Dance!!!

OK....I am the ultimate newbie!!!

I just bought my first bike. A DRZ 400S!!!!!🤣 I got in in large part so that I could join my girlfriend on rides (she got one too).

I have but one thing to say and that is...this thing is SWEEEEEEEET :banghead: We took it out for a few rides on the street around our neighborhood before going to our local OHV (Carnegie here in the Bay Area). OK, new experience...🤣 Neither of us had ever ridden on dirt before (she has been riding a street bike for a couple months...me, I'm a totally rookie).

For those of you who haven't been there, Carnegie on the flats is basically a dried up stream bed full of small rocks and banks that are basically continuous whoops. OK, so these are the parts that WE found. We took one trip up one of the hills on a fire road and on the way down she dumped it 🤣 . She managed to pick the bike up but was a bit shaken so I rode it down the hill and traipsed back up and road mine down. Need more practice and confidence on hills (her, not me...I'm too dumb to know better).

Anyway,the point her is that this bike is fantastic. We had a blast on them. Pretty big bike for a newbie and quasi newbie gf, but still a lot of fun.

Thanks to everybody on here for the great advice and shared wisdom. Now...how to make this thing lighter and faster.... :banghead:

That's funny...I have a OHV park called Carnegie about 10 mins. from where I live too, but I'm in Tracy...One of these days I might go there with my SM and stick to the fire trails. I used to tear it up on my old RM250. For some more fun try Corrall Hollow Rd. past Carnegie to Livermore. It's a nice twisty road with little traffic...

I'm seeing more and more DRZ's lately around here. I'll hoist one up if I see ya' around... :banghead::banghead:🤣

Errrrrr...I live in Danville. I don't know how the computer got convinced I live in Connecticut, but hey, what can you do?

Ya, it was fun...we had a blast. I will be changing from Deathwings to a more agressive offroad tire though...holy crap. It was like riding on ice!!! Made for an interesting first time dirt riding experience.

I race rally cars (rallycross actually) and so know a little bit about vehicle dynamics looking forward, picking the right gear, etc, so I think that made it easier for me, but still...was quite a ride on those tires!!!

Take her out to Prairie City OHV in Folsom, it's perfect for girls!

Just kidding. . . but it does have a lot of very easy basic beginner type stuff

and it's not that far from you (if you really are in California. . .)

How does Prairie City compare with Forresthill? We are both serious trail runners and have run most of the trails up there in the Auburn Forresthill Area, but never ridden them. Any idea which/how many of those are legal for DS bikes? How do you know what is legal and what is not (see...told you I was a newb)

Also looking at a place up near Bear Valley as my family has a place up there. Sounds like there is a good OHV park near Hathaway Pines, near Arnold. Anyone know anything about it?

Forrest Hill is much bigger and has more variety then P City, there are plenty of trails for beginners, just look out to avoid the inevitable head-on. It is pretty dusty up there right now, it'll be great again when the rains come. PC OHV is closer by about 45 minutes too but does get busy on the weekends

(of course so does everything in CA).

You should check them all out, try Mamoth Bar, Hollister & Metcalf too.