Sign in to follow this  

The new ON ANY SUNDAY

I was really looking forward to the movie “Supercross” coming out. Then I started reading the reviews. :banghead: I still want to see it someday but I’m not in any hurry. Instead of waiting for Hollywood give justice to Motocross or Supercross or motorcycle racing in general wouldn’t it be great if the industry produced a documentary on the sport of motorcycle racing; like the original On Any Sunday? I believe if a production was done like that today it would be the magic rocket were all hoping for. It could be called something like; THIS IS MOTORCYCLE RACING. What would it take to get this thing going? :banghead: I’m in; anyone else?

I believe the local newspaer had this to say about Supercross the movie ..."Dumb as dirt"

Anyway, that is a great idea and let me know what I can do to help :banghead:

kinda like dust to glory? i still wanna see that movie

As bad as movies like Supercross, Biker Boyz, Torque, etc are... That is what the general public wants to see when they spend $12 for a movie ticket. They want something outrageous, fast-paced, big-breasted, and shallow enough that they don't have to think about it.

Not sure how many people actually saw "Faster". But I personally thought that was a very good documentary on road-racing. Haven't met anybody who wasn't already into bikes who saw it, so obviously I don't think it created any sort of "buzz" about the sport.

Something along those lines would be pretty cool... but I doubt it would be a mainstream success. And I know that a documentary isn't going to spark some sort of massive interest in the sport.

But that's no reason not to make a great motorcycle movie. Especially now that there are so many different ways to enjoy yourself on two wheels. I think the best thing would be putting together a movie that opened up EXISTING riders eyes to all the other avenues of fun that motorcycling has to offer. Kind of try and break down some of the internal "borders" that we have.

Maybe inspire the mid-life Harley crowd into some appreciation for sportbikes and the technology and finesse of road-racing. Perhaps spark the interest of the "stunnas" into something a bit more constructive than terrorizing soccer moms on public streets... like TRIALS.

There are so many avenues for enjoying bikes... and many riders haven't got a clue.

Maybe Gary could become the Warren Miller of the motorcycle industry. :banghead: If that happens, I volunteer to be filmed doing something silly and tumbling down a mountain.

Wow, very well put NineTwoFour except possibly the "Maybe inspire the mid-life Harley crowd into some appreciation for sportbikes and the technology and finesse..." part. That just doesn't happen, however on all other accounts you make a great point. Being an ex-roadracer/motocrosser and now into SuperMoto, I remember being a kid riding dirtbikes and thinking "Who would want to roadrace? that looks dumb" and from there the barriers begin. I think when Dave Despain was on Bike Week he tried to break those walls.

I also remember hearing about good motorcycle movies that were being filmed but never heard anything about them after that. On that note, What are the good MotoMovies out there? You mentioned Faster. Lets hear some more recommendations. If everyone from TT goes out and rents or even purchases movies like Faster and On Any Sunday that would definitely make an impact. Small, but a step in the right direction!

I remember a movie (barely..) called Little Haus and Big Falsey or something like that. That movie made we want a motorcycle.

I agree with the ideas expressed in this thread. One thing that would make this alot more plausable is the fact technology is on our side. With the onset of digital video recorders, helmet cams, and so on. It would make it a lot easier to get the footage need to make a movie on a small budget.

Desert People and several others make 5 or 6 movies a year about the Mojave Desert Racing circuit, pre-runners, jump compitions and such. They publish their finished product on the web and also sell them at off-road expos around the country.

DUST TO GLORY is a very good motorcyle film, with some Truck and Dune buggy racing thrown in. If also has a documentary format like ON ANY SUNDAY. I would venture out to say it is the best Motorcycle film made since the original ON ANY SUNDAY.

it'd be awesome if they covered all types of motorcycle competition like mx,sx,off-road,trials,freestyle/freeriding,etc..

i love freeride movies but it'd be nice to see a mix of differnt things and show all the good people who ride motorcycles are just your everyday people, young and old.

I'll bet if On any Sunday came out today it would be a flop because it showed racing/motorcycles in a pure, clean, fun, behinds the scenes movie people hadn't seen before. Watching MS cut through the fence missing the mudhole was a thing of beauty but by todays standards it would be lame, the smiles and laughs from the movie were genuine and didn't need to be forced or shocked out of you. To make a movie people/kids want to watch today has to be 1% reality 99% shock TV, screaming loud headbang/rap music and naked women, (not that there's anything wrong with naked women) it would have to have TP doing double backflips, things that are impossible by 99.99% unless you have a game controller in your hand.

There will be more and are some good movies out there

but, On any Sunday,,,,,,,,,, I don't think the magic will ever be caught on film like that again. :banghead:

maybe if they made a good documentary film/series on discovery chanel that could break some barriers and open up some eyes on road racing, motorcross and all the other passions of motorcycling. they've already made a huge impact on the "custom cruiser" world with their shows. it could work out really well if they wen't the right way about doing it.

on a side note... my dad rides a harley, but he's also my pit crew and track staff at my road races here in texas. he's kind of an exeception though... he raced MX when he was young in SoCal and has also owned a goldwing and sportbike in the past.

If you guys want to read a funny as hell review of Supercross: The Movie...gotta read the one in Cyclenews. I forget the name of the guy that wrote it, but from what I remember of the article it was probably Henry Ray Abrahms.

It was absolutely mercieless...which bums me out a little but I figured they'd hammer it. Hollywood has no respect for us. Probably why I've got no respect for them.

Seriously lets do it lets make our own movie

And you can play the part of Seth Enslow :banghead:

:banghead: Click the "One any Sunday" link RLucky posted and you'll see "On any sunday II"