RMZ450 air box

Yamahas are definately easier, but the rmz is no complaint, I have a twin air cover so I clean the airbox everytime I wash the bike, but if Im doing a quick filter change I will take the seat and side panel off and usually put paper towels on the corners of the airbox and anywhere were the filter might rub while sliding it through, just so i dont pick up any dirt while putting it in, I caught dome dirt the first time I changed the filter and luckily noticed it and had to clean out the entire boot. I like the filter skins, I just started using them because most of the tracks around here are dusty being nobody waters them, because there all illegal to ride on.

i just did my first little bit of maint to the bike and the filter was a breeze compared to other bikes i have had in the past. the seat could have stayed on but i took it off anyways to make sure the box was nice and clean.

• 7 months later...

Are you guys serious? I cleaned my air filter the other day (RMZ450 06) and it was a pain in the :ride:

Im used to my 06 RM 250, which is much easier to get your hands in.

I took the side panels and seat off but got grease everwhere when i put the thing back in, and then i couldnt get the screw in the hole.

Maybe because I was doing it after 6 beers and it was getting dark :banana:

I get my old one out, change gloves and put the new one in, all in one motion in under a minute now. Youll get the hang of it after a few times.

Maybe when you have the cage out and no filter on it (ie: grease) give it some practice installs. You kinda put it in sidways and turn it vertical once its in the box. . Then move it towards the boot roughly centered over the sealing surface and it should center itself and slide right in. Push the screw down and it should grab.