Sign in to follow this  

Help settle an argument

Ok, my GF is in great shape, a marathon runner and a weight lifter. She has very strong feeling about me staying in shape as well, I'm 45 and am in better shape than I've ever been. I run three miles evey other day and lift weights in between. On the wk/nds that I ride I skip one or even two days running and figure four or five hours riding hard in the woods is easily an equivalent, she disagrees. So what's the concencous here, I say riding is as much cardiovascular as running if not way more.

PUt her on a bike and see if she has the endurance to ride as long as you do! :banghead::banghead:

Ride on

Brewster

Before I started riding I felt the same way your GF does now. My husband would always brag about how physical it was to ride but there was no convincing me. :banghead: All I saw was someone sitting down and putzin around, now I know the truth. Only experiencing it will show her the light.

She will never know until you get her on a bike. The misconception is widespread among the non-riding population.

Anything that gets your heart rate up for an extendend amount of time counts. I workout religously during the weekdays, and go for a ride on the weekends. I find myself more tired after my ride, then after one of my normal intense workouts.

I ran for a couple weeks in the spring, not riding my bike at all.

Then I switched to just riding motocross, no running at all for a couple weeks.

Well after a couple of weeks of motocross riding, I went back to running (as

time permitted) and absolutely could not believe how my fitness had improved ONLY from riding... I ran so much farther than previously it was ridiculous, and it

was practically effortless. Right then, I was convinced, there's

NOTHING like seat time to get you in excellent shape.

Its difficult to explain the demands of riding to a non-rider because they have nothing to reference it to. The best analogy I've heard was here on TT where someone described riding being like downhill skiing for 20-40 minutes straight. Most people can relate to skiing. When people say that the bike does all the work, I say, "oh, you mean like how gravity and the ski does all the work in skiing, the bull does all the work in rodeo, or how skateboarders simply stand on top of a board in a half pipe?!?"

I was flippin' through channels a few weeks ago and came across The Surreal Life that had Carey Hart on it. He took the group out to ride dirt bikes on an MX track. Jose Canseco was on an XR400. He never got out of 1st or 2nd. He made the comment that he was exhausted at the end of the day. When he got back to the house he said "I feel like I'm 70". This is a big, muscular guy and it whipped his butt.

Yeah it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Mr. Canseco shot steroids for years(and probably still does). He should feel like 70.

Yeah it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Mr. Canseco shot steroids for years(and probably still does). He should feel like 70.

He was still in really good shape.

Especially without his shirt!!! :banghead:

Yep, the only way she will know is to ride....

no matter how in shape you are riding is excellent exercise. but i think it depends on how much and how hard you ride. i run about 4 miles every other day. on the weekends i'll ride trails but mostly MX, sometimes both. riding the track is more intense than most anything else i've ever tried in terms of a total workout. when i ride woods we keep a pretty good pace. i'm wheelying over logs, hitting small jumps, getting the back wheel sideways. but not as fast as if i were in a hare scramble. i still don't think i work up as much of a sweet as when i run 4 miles. but when i run i go pretty fast. people who "jog" can't keep up. i don't know how fast i go, i should probably time my miles.

my point is either could potentially burn more calories depending on how intense you are. but more important than all that fitness stuff, riding is just more fun! the only reason i run is to improve my riding stamina. hand your girl a helmet and let her decide.

Stick that girl on a bike. I work out five times a week with cardio being 3 and weights being the other 2. I know I can jog for 30 minutes or do a spinning class for 50 minutes or aerobics for an hour, but 5 laps at speed on a MX track will wipe me out. MX, IS one of the most physically demanding sports. I don't know how the pro's do it.