Riding in the rain??

Well, i have four days off from school this weekend. and guess what. weather says its gonna rain all four days. I was hoping this would be the day i could try out my new kx250. would it be alright for a sucky rider like myself to ride in the ain, or would it be to muddy and i'd prob ditch it to many times.

Riding in the pouring rain is an excellent skill to develop. I see that you're in Florida. If you're riding in sand, then the rain won't make much difference. You'll be able to corner better in sand, and get better traction.

Here in central Indiana, there's lots of clay, and it gets snot-slick when it rains hard. Lots of "stabs" to keep you on track, and very careful attention to tire condition/pressure are a big help. It slows you down some, but it can be quite fun. Big hills are kind of interesting though.

If it's slick where you are, it's good practice for throttle control, and front brake technique. Be gentle on both.

Well, i have four days off from school this weekend. and guess what. weather says its gonna rain all four days. I was hoping this would be the day i could try out my new kx250. would it be alright for a sucky rider like myself to ride in the ain, or would it be to muddy and i'd prob ditch it to many times.

Dude, if you ride in Florida, riding in the rain is just something you're going to have to get used to. Not sure where you ride in Florida, but where I ride is mostly sand so rain is awesome 'cause it packs the sand down. My googles almost always fog up so watch out for that. And the rain can sometimes sting. But other than that, go out and have a blast :banghead: I plan on riding Saturday rain or shine.

Oh, one last thing, I try not to ride when it's lightning. Not that I'm that concerned I'm going to get hit but I've seen trees that were hit and have fallen when I've been riding. I'd hate to be in the path of a pine tree when it's time has come....

Riding in the pouring rain is an excellent skill to develop. I see that you're in Florida. If you're riding in sand, then the rain won't make much difference. You'll be able to corner better in sand, and get better traction.

Here in central Indiana, there's lots of clay, and it gets snot-slick when it rains hard. Lots of "stabs" to keep you on track, and very careful attention to tire condition/pressure are a big help. It slows you down some, but it can be quite fun. Big hills are kind of interesting though.

If it's slick where you are, it's good practice for throttle control, and front brake technique. Be gentle on both.

Its exactly the same in Northern Indiana

Its exactly the same in Northern Indiana

Ohio too :banghead: I like riding in the rain. The only thing that sucks about it is keeping your goggles clear anough to see out of. Tear-offs and Roll-offs don't last more than 15 minutes for me before water gets behind the film and makes everything blurry. I usually wind up wearing my goggles around my neck, but its no biggie since I'm usually point man for my riding group.

The rain is where it is at. It teaches you that falling doesn't really hurt so bad. Up here in montana he always ride in the mud during the fall. Last week i crashed 8 times trying to climb a hill i should be able to walk on my hands up.

Don't kill youself on the mud though it is just fun until you try something you wouldn't even try when it is dry out.( I know this too well)

Learning to ride the mud and other slippery conditions is a great step up in your riding. Honestly, I went from hopeless, to pinning it and out of control, to finally figuring out some of the most important tricks and loving it. Here's and old thread where we talk about mud riding tricks. Learning to steer by pulling the back end of the bike around with your legs and using the throttle is so amazing! :banghead:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65552

I have only ridden in the rain once and didn't have a problem with it, other then the rain would just stay on my goggles and made it very hard to see. Are tear offs the only answer to that? It seems that i would have been using a tear off every couple of minutes. Seems a waste. They are Scott goggles. Does the anti fog spray help bead the water off in any way? :banghead:

How about puddles? and trick to those? the puddles im loking at are usually 3-6 feet acroos, maybe only 1-3" deep put the hardpack trail under neath turns to slippery wet mud/clay. My step brother tried to go through one on an 80 and ended up with the rear sliding out and into the bushes.

I have only ridden in the rain once and didn't have a problem with it, other then the rain would just stay on my goggles and made it very hard to see. Are tear offs the only answer to that? It seems that i would have been using a tear off every couple of minutes. Seems a waste. They are Scott goggles. Does the anti fog spray help bead the water off in any way? :banghead:

Try Rain-X for the goggles :banghead:

How about puddles? and trick to those? the puddles im loking at are usually 3-6 feet acroos, maybe only 1-3" deep put the hardpack trail under neath turns to slippery wet mud/clay. My step brother tried to go through one on an 80 and ended up with the rear sliding out and into the bushes.

Wheelie over them. :banghead:

have only ridden in the rain once and didn't have a problem with it, other then the rain would just stay on my goggles and made it very hard to see. Are tear offs the only answer to that?

Use an anti fog spray on the inside. I get it at my dive shop and try glass wax for the outside.

I rode in the rain (when we would get rain) on my 250 and it was a lot of fun. We would get happy when the weatherman would forecast it and then head out to play in the mud. The traction goes down, but then the ground gets softer so it is more about getting covered than getting hurt.