Sign in to follow this  

electric start

I just bought a 2004 CRF 250X. It's my first 4-stroke and I have a problem. The taillight was not working so I was under the seat checking wire connections. I even used a tester and everything looked good. When I tried to use the electric start, nothing. It kick starts beautifully, but nothing doing with the electric start. When the bike was running, the starter relay was making a buzzing sound. I decided to replace it, got the same result. I wish I wouldn't have even screwed with it because I don't give a damn about my taillight. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what is going on?

Electrical gremlins are difficult. I would go from the beginning to end of the start circuit checking voltages before and after button is pressed. Also, you have to pull in the clutch to start I think. Make sure voltages at the relay are as expected.

Check the battery, put a voltmeter on it and see what the voltage drops too when hitting the starter button. If it drops to much change the battery.

This may sound stupid but did you check the fuse? It is under electrical plug behind the right side panel(you can see the spare fuse right when you take the side panel off). If that is ok check to see if your getting 12v to the clutch switch, pull the clutch and see if you get 12v on the other wire from the clutch. if thats ok then move over to the starter button while the clutch is pulled and see if you getting 12v coming in and when you push the button 12v going out.

If I remember correctly the relay that controls the tail light uses the fuse also.

My 05x wore the wire out at the plug going up to the starter switch. It was caused by a tweaked odometer mount and I have a steering stabilizer.