Sign in to follow this  

250SXF gripes/questions

I got an 06 250 SXF about 2 weeks ago. I'm really happy with this bike overall. I've been riding it fairly easy as suggested by the dealer for the first 12 or so hours. I would guess I have about 8 on it now. Not even pushing it to hard it seems much faster than my 04 CRF 250. I opened it up a little more yesterday, and there is a whole other level of power down there I haven't even felt yet. I am sure I'm not going to feel lacking for power once I have the break in done and can feel free to go full blast.

Starting it was horrible at first, but it is getting better and I am learning the tricks of the bike too. It seems for the most part that I have to have the throttle open a bit to get it to start. This is against what the dealer told me, which might explain why I had such a hard time at first

My gas cap is leaking. Each time I come back in after some laps I am finding there is spilled gas reside all around the cap. I've removed it cleaned at the seal etc... Any suggestions?

The only other thing that is going to take some getting used to is having to shift the bike so much. I used to be able to just race around the track almost exclusively in 3rd gear on my CRF, and now I'm finding that I'm in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. It's easy to be lazy and not drop in to 2nd, as I can pull out of almost any corner in 3rd, but the amount of acceleration I get by gearing down to 2nd almost mandates it. Would changing the rear sprocket acomplish anything? I read a magazine review where I think I recall them saying they added a tooth on the rear and loved it.

The stock Bridgestone tire it came with (rear) is completely destroyed already. I took the bike up to some trails I live nearby and putted it around right when I got it. This terrain is pretty tough on tires normally, but I've never had complete knobs torn off. At this time there are about half the knobs missing off the middle row. Obviously I'm getting a new tire before anymore riding. As I mentioned the terrain I first rode on ( for only a couple hours max and not to hard) is pretty hard on tires, but I've never had more than normal wearing out happen, this is pretty weird. The rest of the time has been on a loamy dirt track.

After reading the manual and seeing they reccomend 95 octane, I've been mixing 1/2 91 octane pump fuel and 110 racing fuel. I had a lot of trouble with valves on my CRF 250 and had read that mixing the pump gas with racing fuel was a very good idea and could contribute significantly to longer valve life. Really the valve issues and reliability of the CRF is what drove me to look for a new bike in the first place and I don't want the same trouble with this bike.

Other than a few little quibbles I really like this bike and am really happy to be part of the KTM family. The quality and attention to detail with KTM reminds me of the way a Mercedes or Porche compares to a Ford or Chevy.

-Ryan

i've had mine for 3 weeks now and it's a great bike. i agree the stock tire's are junk. i bought new tires the day i got the bike, i knew they would not last. my bike starts very easy only 1-3 kicks every time. i would suggest lowering the fork oil height 10-15mm to improve the forks. I added 10mm of oil and a set of subtanks to my forks with great results. ktm sells a hour meter for the engine at about $40, installs super easy and great at keeping oil changes on time. you dont have breakin the engine very long, half hour of on and off the throttle and let her rip! get a new seat and the shock will feel like it was revalved , the stock seat is like cement. bike handles very well but, be careful of suspension adjustments, little adjustments make a big difference with this bike. i left the triple-clamps set in the 20mm offset i like them there best after trying both settings. my gas cap does not leak yet, try a o-ring i have read others are using this fix with great sucess.

Gas cap: Didn't I hear there was a recall on the first batch of gas caps? Maybe just the O ring?

Starting: This engine has whats called an automatic decompresor, it opens the exhaust valve very slightly 1/2 thru the compresion stroke until the engine is spinning some level of RPM. It sounds like they have that RPM set lower on the SXF than the RFS bikes as if you kick it too fast the centrificle weight swings out and the auto decompresor is already disabled while kicking. Try as smooth steady kick rather than a fast one.

Gear ratios: Part of making horsepower is tuning the engine to rev! This ain't no mellow trail bike it is 100% racer and as such it is going to need to be reved and to do so the gear ratios are fairly close, Changing the sprockets one tooth? It is going to move everything down a little lower and group the gears even closer.

Good job on breaking it in nice but I think you can forget that now and go ride.

I have an 05 SXF I got back in mid-June and other than the replacement of the engine under warranty right after I got it I've been riding it about 3 months and have about 50 hours on it. I also came off a CFR 250 R that I really got tired of adjusting and replacing valves every other time I rode it. I think as Dave H. said you have enough hours to start riding it. I have been checking the valves on a regular basis and they are holding at original specs.You're right the stock tires are sand tires and wear out fast. I have had Dunlaps and Maxxis and they seem to work on this bike fine. It corners likes it's on rails no matter what I run on it. I have been running straight 91 octane from the pumps in Denver area, and it runs just fine. Give the bike a little time and engine and suspension seem to get better. Yes, the gas cap started leaking on mine but as in a previous post get the Viton 2-223 rubber o-ring and it cures the problem. There only less than a buck. I went from a 13-48 gearing to 14-52 which is a little shorter, but the stock chain is too short so you will have to replace the chain. The stock gearing wears out the chain buffer on the swingarm. I went through 2 of them before going to the bigger sprockets. I also went to a taller SDG seat and it is much nicer than stock and the FMF slip on muffler. I am 190 lbs and 6'3'' and I can't believe you have to shift this bike that much. Mine seems to have more power and torque than my Honda it pulls me so much better and I can ride it longer without getting tired. Go ahead and start riding it hard, the harder you ride it the better it works. This is no trail bike, like Dave said. Start riding it and you will love it. Change the oil and air cleaner often and use a good 15-50 synthetic oil like Silkolene. If you go up in elevation lean out the pilot. I went to a 38 and it helped with the starting. Don't kick this bike like a normal 4 stroke. Yes, a smooth and steady kick like you would a 2 stroke and you should be fine.

if your running 110 gas, its most likely oxygenated, which can make your bike run a tad lean, which will result in hard starting.

My Dad has a 06 KTM 250f and loves the bike. He came off a YZ250f that was beafed up to the 265. He says that the stock KTM has much more power all around the the YZ does. Plus the bike handles a lot better. The only starting problems he had with it is in a harescrambles he got the bike so hot it killed and took him a while to get it started. As far as the gas cap goes contact your dealer their was a recall on them.

the ktm manual's designation of 95 octane fuel is NOT the same numbering scheme used in the USA. DIFFERENT NUMBERS. your SXF should run just fine on 91 octane unleaded. you are wasting money on race gas.

You'd be better off running Ultimate 4 or MR2 fuels as those are oxygenated and with proper jetting will provide a good jump in power. The 110 octane may actually be hurting the bike intead of helping.

redrida, i bet the 110 gas hes using now is oxygenated and thats why hes having the starting problem, its making it to lean!

redrida, i bet the 110 gas hes using now is oxygenated and thats why hes having the starting problem, its making it to lean!

Yeah, I missed your first post, sorry. But you'd still be better off running a high oxygen fuel with a lower octane if your going to spend the $$ on race fuel. 110 is overkill in a 4 stroke unless it's seriously worked.

i know, but less detonation too, but really, its stock, theres no need unless your jetted for it.

I have just been a little paranoid over valve wear. My 04 CRF 250 was a horrible nightmare and I read in more than one magazine that a must is to run higher octane fuel, by mixing 110 with 91. I guess I should try some regular pump gas and see how it works.

Am I wrong about the higher octane fuel improving the chances of the valves lasting longer?

-Ryan

I have ordered a 47 sprocket from my dealer, and i will try i out this weekend.

I´m not a pro rider and ithink the ktm is hard to ride pull only in the hi revs.

I hope i will calm down the engine a little and that it is possible to stay a little bit longer on all the gears.

Hope it will suit my riding style.

Have anyone else tried the same thing ?

/

Fredrik