1986 XT600 Yamaha Gearing?

A friend just bought this bike. It is set up for road and woods. Dual-sport. Gear way to high for woods. Has a 15 tooth on the front counter sprocket. Iwas thinking more like a 13 tooth. Anyone ever geared one of these down? The help would be appreciated.Thanks DRZman. :banghead:

I sometimes put a 14 tooth on mine if I'm going off road,it can still cruise at 100kph,but you wouldn't want to do it all day.That's still too tall for any serious off road work,but they aren't that serious an off road bike anyway.With 13 teeth I don't think you will be able to do highway speeds,but ok for back roads and gravel.

Motu: Thanks for the reply. That helps alittle.He will not be using this bike for any road use. So for the 12.00$ we will try the 13. If he does not like it he can try a 14. But I ran it in the tight woods with a 15 tooth. I have been doing enduros' for about 30yrs. I have a DRZ 400 with all the right stuff.on it. And got to tell you with the 15 tooth on that XT600 was insane in the woods. Geared way to high. Thanks Jack.