'04 Fork Conversion

Just finished up installing a set of '04 48mm forks on the '03. Why is a kind of longish story I won't get into just now, but the main reason I undertook the project was to get a set of offset clamps on the bike. They're on order now.

If you ever decide to do something like this, it was a near bolt on. The thing that missed was the steering stem. The forks themselves were from an '04 YZ250F. I resprung them with a pair of .46's and I'm going to try the valving out this weekend (the previous owner had them redone for SX/MX so, we'll see).

The problem with the stem is that it was about a half inch shorter than the '03 450 stem. I'm not sure whether this is because it's an '04, or because it's a 250F. Between both bikes and both years, they list 4 different lower clamps and frames. But, both bearings are the same, and the dimensions of the bottom section where it presses into the clamp are also identical, so I simply swapped the stem from my old clamp to the '04 clamp, and everything else dropped back in the same place it came out of.

The same thing could be done with '05 AOS forks, even if the clamps should turn out to be too hard to adapt, by using the '04 clamp set (same clamp diameters).

I'll be back with a ride test.

So what made you put 04 KYB's on? Why not go Showa? We just put some 99 RM125 suspension on an 03 YZ2250. The bike is great. They are the 49's that zook used. We also put 02 CRF on a KXF250. Here's a pic.

http://fatmaxracing.com/IMG_2355.JPG

It's not that great of a pic but you can basically see it. To do the conversions it took purchasing basically the whole front end minus the steering stem but for the YZ the whole setup was less than 500 bucks with the suspension. eBay is wonderful.

There's a thought, I suppose. Did you have to build a custom stem?

In my case, it came down to finding a way to change the steering offset on mine. When it seemed no one had anything but custom clamps for the 46's anymore, I came across a kid parting out his bike, and it sort of went from there. This way, I get a fork upgrade and offset clamps for less than custom clamps.

I guess RG3 DID make offset clamps, but evidently not anymore. If I had the $ I'd bid on these just to try them. Instead, I'm going to try one of those Storm links that I picked up used. Have read some good testimonial on TT about them.............we'll see! :banghead:

There's a thought, I suppose. Did you have to build a custom stem?

In my case, it came down to finding a way to change the steering offset on mine. When it seemed no one had anything but custom clamps for the 46's anymore, I came across a kid parting out his bike, and it sort of went from there. This way, I get a fork upgrade and offset clamps for less than custom clamps.

Yea sounds like you got a good hookup. The 04 forks are definitly better than the 03's. I had an 03 450 and an 04 250F. Much more plush and no stupid bumper system.

As for the stem we just used the stock stem and stock 05 clamps on the YZ and RG3 Honda clamps on the KXF. On the YZ it did require some work to the shock though since Showa shocks come with the 2 prongs that go over the linkage where the KYB is just the solid piece going between the linkage. We had to change the shock shaft and do some custom work there. But it works.

Havent ridden the 05 450 but I have an 05 250 2s and had a 05 125. I still like the Showa suspension better. Although the 250 was very close. They used a slightly better fork on the 250 only (for some reason) and it made them more of a plush ride. Granite they had to be revalved but comparing them after my 125 was revalved you could tell a difference. They just had a more dampened feel to them where the 125 felt springy. So I guess I would have to say that the 05 450 would probably feel springy. I thought the 04 forks on my 250 were as good as my 05 125 forks were. Not as good as the 05 250 forks though. I imagine the 06 forks are pretty sweet though after they've been massaged alittle to get out that harshness on top and keep them from pushing.