Sign in to follow this  

shipping and handling at TT store

let me preface this by saying i've purchased a pair of Gaerne SG10's, a pair of A-star Tech 6's, TT fender stickers, etc from the TT store. had great service, got a great price, no complaints. today i went to buy a white brothers billet mirror adapter (replaces the back of any clutch or brake perch so you can thread in a standard 10mm mirror when you DS your bike-- we're supposed to have two mirrors in order to be legal in MI).

the billet adapter is expensive, but a nice piece and worth it. but the shipping and handling? oh my.

take a look...

----------------------------------------------

Subtotal: $14.36

Shipping & Handling: $7.49

Tax: $0.00

Grand Total: $21.85

-----------------------------------------------

i had it shipped ground.

ummm.... does anyone think this is a bit excessive? i mean, this is ground, toss it in an padded envelope and mail it. now, not to muck-rake, but here's an order from dennis kirk...

------------------Total Weight: 1.87 Lbs.

Sub Total: $92.94

Shipping: $12.10

Order Total: $105.04

--------------------------------

friends, that's UPS Guaranteed 2-Day Air.

something is amiss. not sure what it is. i really want to give my business (already given about 600$ worth) to TT but i don't feel like paying half of what this little adapter is worth to ship it ground. it's got to weigh... ounces? i WOULD have paid 7.50 to ship it 2nd day air.

...i WOULD have paid 7.50 to ship it 2nd day air.

I dont think it was just for shipping. I think its for "shipping and handling", you know, boxes, tape, paking foam, shipping labels, employee to do it, health care benefits for the employee doing it etc. I'd be willing to bet if you order some lead fishing weights to go with it, the shipping would of been the same. I have found when you do mail order (and I almost always have to as my days off are the same all dealers/shops are closed) I put things in my basket over time and then when I get enough, use the checkout. I have to admit, I have never used the TT store as my dial up is so slow to download their pages so shopping on line from TT would take me way too long. Its not a TT problem, its mine. So I'm not complaining. BrandonW did though. :banghead:

Do a search, this has been covered MANY times.

In essence, their prices are lower than anyone else - guaranteed.

Like MANY if not MOST other companies, they do a flat shipping fee. So if it weighs an ounce it costs $5. If it weighs 20lbs it costs $25. They break even at the end of the month.

Moral of the story is, if you're buying one item that weighs nothing - PUT MORE IN YOUR CART!!!🤣🤣🤣:banghead::banghead::busted:

The more items the cheaper the shipping. The fewer items, the higher (relatively) the shipping.

Maybe Brian should just start charging per post - ESPECIALLY for those who just wrack up the post count! :busted:

Do a search, this has been covered MANY times.

i did. i typed in shipping and TT store. i got squat aside from an explaination about overseas shipping. next time YOU do a search before you recommend i do one. do me a favor and refine my search terms for me, if you will.

In essence, their prices are lower than anyone else - guaranteed.

can i get a price match on shipping charges? no, i can't, can i. i can ship two items weighing more from another company for 12$ 2nd-day. you know what it would cost to get this little billet aluminum piece shipped 2nd-day from TT? 19.59$

Like MANY if not MOST other companies, they do a flat shipping fee. So if it weighs an ounce it costs $5. If it weighs 20lbs it costs $25. They break even at the end of the month.

perhaps you missed the part where i paid only slightly more to ship parts from one of your OTHER companies, weighing more and shipped 2nd-Day air. your explaination does not fit my very real, lived experience.

Moral of the story is, if you're buying one item that weighs nothing - PUT MORE IN YOUR CART!!!🤣🤣🤣:banghead::banghead::busted:

The more items the cheaper the shipping. The fewer items, the higher (relatively) the shipping.

ATTENTION: i don't NEED anything else right now, and, if you'd care to know, i can't adjust my budget for bike parts to fit my shipping needs. jexxus, that's just stupid (sorry for being blunt). you're asking me to employ shipping and handling charges to steer my parts purchasing? ox, meet cart. i need one part. one part only. i need it soon. i'm wondering why the TT store shipping and handling fees are (as i perceive them) a bit out of line.

Maybe Brian should just start charging per post - ESPECIALLY for those who just wrack up the post count! :busted:

perhaps he should charge double for posts that aren't helpful, thought out, and offer advice that is, well, just silly. i LIKE the TT store, i've spent $500+ at the TT store, and as a matter of fact i bought the damn adapter from the TT store despite spending more than i think i should have on shipping. i did this because of the good will engendered by all the members of TT, and invaluable amount of knowledge i've gained from the fellows.

see, due to the other fellow's getting on my t**ts, it looks as if i'm really cross with the TT store, when in fact i'm really cross with him. let me say again that i ordered the part anyway, i'm just curious. but please, have something constructive to add.

waving the flag of the TT store doesn't help me: you're preaching to the converted.

Bobby, please read our price guarantee. We complete against the price to your door. Who cares about individual cost of the product + shipping + tax + handling + tarrifs + whatever. The cost you care about is what comes out of your account and that's the number we compete against by giving you 110% of the difference.

If you go to our store and click on the price guarantee logo you'll find:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/help_answer.asp?ID=21#21

If you want to better understand our shipping policy, you can click on the HELP link and find: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/help_answer.asp?ID=39#39

If you read the price guarantee, you'l find that you all you need to do is order the product and reference where you found the product lower in your order notes. We don't ping credit cards until the order is processed, so it's no problem adjusting your order after the order has been placed. This policy is no hassle at all and we publish if for anyone that needs it. No smoke/mirrors here.

Our online store has all the info anyone needs to understand our price guarantee and shipping however, if in doubt, email or call us, we're happy to help.

If you'd like a more detailed explanation of our flat rate shipping policy and both its pros and cons, give us a shout. We'd be happy to take a few mintues and tell you more. There are afew things that you're not considering.

Thanks for your post and we look forward to answer any further questions.

Bryan

Taken from the TT Store help section here:

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/help_answer.asp?ID=39#39

We charge the following fixed shipping rates for continental U.S. ground shipments based on the total value of your order regardless of weight or distance. (oversize items not included):

Order Total Shipping Charge

Under $10 $9.99

$9.99-$148.99 $7.49

$149.00 or more FREE*

All other shipping charges are automatically calculated during checkout. (You will have a chance to review the shipping charges BEFORE completing your order or sending payment.)

A common question about our fixed rate shipping is why, for example, does the cost of shipping, say for a couple of carb jets seem so high? The reason is that there is a hard cost to process any order online, including merchant processing charges, 2.5%-3% to your credit card company, the cost of packing materials and the cost of someone to physically process and ship your order. Because of this, most companies require a minimum order of $25.00, with some being as high as $40.00. Now that's a lot of jets!

Rather than an order minimum, our fixed rate shipping model is beneficial to those customers that need to order relatively inexpensive parts, where it is inconvenient to purchase or cannot easily be found in their local area. Also, it's pretty easy to create an order that has a value between $9.99 to $148.99, where the actual shipping costs we pay exceeds the $7.49 that we charge.

The bottom-line is that we're interested in doing business with our customers over their lifetime. So, while it might seem on a single, small order that your shipping charges are high, over the course of any given year, our numbers show that overall, our customers are paying only for the actual cost to ship their orders.

We originally charged actual shipping when we first opened the store. There were far more problems with that system. We carry over 250,000 different parts. While many ship from our Las Vegas location, many parts ship direct to you from manufacturers all over the country. So the 1st problem is when drop shipping something to you, we don't even know the shipping cost until days later when we get the invoice from the manufacturer. The 2nd problem is out of those 250,000 parts, only about 60% of them have accurate weight measurements provided to us from the company we buy the items from. So many times we don't know what the package will weigh until we actually box it up and throw it on the scale. Because of these 2 problems, we would have to adjust shipping charges to customers at the time we shipped their order which as you can imagine made some customers happy :banghead: when their shipping charges were less than expected, and made other customers mad🤣 when the charges were more than expected.

To avoid all this confusion, we decided to go with a flat rate shipping system where no matter what the item weights, or where it's being delivered (except for oversize and international stuff of course) the shipping charge is the same.

This way you, the customer knows up front what your shipping charges will be and there are no suprises later.

The way we come up with the $7.49 is every few months I go through and add up all the shipping costs for our orders and figure out the average cost per order. Whatever that average is, is what I set the shipping at.

As an example, I just pulled the last 20 shipping charges off of our FedEx ground bill for last month.

$151.29 total or $7.56 per order

As you can see, our flat rate shipping policy does end up costing the customer the same as if we charged per order, but it does it without all the confusion. And as you can see we don't even add in any extra to cover boxes, tape, etc.

So when you buy a set of grips from us that weigh under a pound, you end up paying a little more🤣, when you buy a 7 pound skid plate from us you pay a little less🤣. It all evens out in the end.

I hope this clears things up. :banghead:

Well, I guess Mr. Wilson decided to give you some of those inside details that might not be obvious from first glance.

For example, it's not hard to place an order with a value greater than $10 but less than the free shipping mark at $149 or more. Many of these order can contain multiple parts (some heavy like oils) that end up costing MORE than the flat $7.49 cents we collect, so we actually lose money on shipping on that order.

As Brian said, we had more complaints when we charged actual shipping that with our current flat rate model. Our exit survey shows an approval rate of 94% in regard to shipping charges, which frankly is pretty solid. No shipping model is perfect, so we've elected something that is simple to understand and focused on fair shipping rates for our customers seanon after season, not just the one-off order.

I'm sure this question will not end w/ this thead, so until the next time this pops up... :banghead:

ummm.... does anyone think this is a bit excessive? i mean, this is ground, toss it in an padded envelope and mail it. now, not to muck-rake, but here's an order from dennis kirk...

------------------Total Weight: 1.87 Lbs.

Sub Total: $92.94

Shipping: $12.10

Order Total: $105.04

--------------------------------

friends, that's UPS Guaranteed 2-Day Air.

I just noticed you live in Michigan, Dennis Kirk is only in Minnesota. Of course the 2 day shipping is going to be cheap.

I just went to fedex.com and went to the "get transit times" section. I typed in your zip code (i pulled it off your order) and Dennis Kirk's zip code. Did you know that ground shipping from Dennis Kirk to your door is only 2 days?

So basically, 2nd day delivery is no different that ground delivery except for the price. And ground delivery is guaranteed by FedEx and UPS the same as 2nd day.

I know you're not trying to bash on the TT store as some people have suggested. I like hearing feedback from our customers. It's the only way we can improve.

I hope this post plus the other one I made clears up the shipping for you.

If you have any other questions, please do feel free to ask. That's why we're here. :banghead:

The bottom line is the price of gas, which had been climbing long before Katrina, has jacked up shipping costs big time and has become almost an equalizer between brick-and-motar vs. on-line stores.

I'm sorry, I actually was trying to be helpful. I'm also sorry that doing a simple search didn't help, I was basing my comments on the NUMEROUS THREADS I'VE READ!!!

Just because your search terms didn't magically find the threads I was talking about doesn't mean they weren't there.

I was trying to do a condensed version of the long posts I knew that Bryan and Brian would have to type out and save them time. Guess I should let the pros do their jobs...sorry. :banghead::banghead:🤣

I'm sorry, I actually was trying to be helpful. I'm also sorry that doing a simple search didn't help, I was basing my comments on the NUMEROUS THREADS I'VE READ!!!

Just because your search terms didn't magically find the threads I was talking about doesn't mean they weren't there.

I was trying to do a condensed version of the long posts I knew that Bryan and Brian would have to type out and save them time. Guess I should let the pros do their jobs...sorry. :banghead::banghead:🤣

No Harm, No Foul.

Admittedly, sometimes the search can be a bit frustrating. With 2 million posts on-line sometimes you have to try a few combinations to get the results your looking for.

The good news is we are in the process of upgrading the search function to make it much easier to find what you're looking for.

I'd have thought it crazy to assume that issues regarding shipping and handling and the TT store wouldn't show up under a search of "shipping and TT store". lol. i asked pkley to refine those terms if he could. it was more a rhetorical question than anything else. anyway, his post is a non-issue now seeing i have answers from the big guys.

at least now any search regarding shipping and the TT store should bring this thread up, which in turn should explain (rather fully) the matter, ending anymore speculation or aggravation.

also, i know the 'competitor' is in Minnesota, but i assumed that, like many other retailers (TT included) there is a good deal of 'blind shipping' from suppliers during which the retailer never actually touches the gear, only acts as a the... well, retailer. if this isn't true with d.k. I'd like to know it. do they (do YOU?) actually stock all the goods from parts unlimited or are they just forwarded from the warehouse (which could be in california for all i know?)

the last bit there is mere curiosity on my part than anything else. feel free to disregard that.

thanks for answering my questions personally and i'm awaiting my adapter.

matt