Sign in to follow this  

How to take Head off my 50

Hey guys, i'm a newb at workin on my 50. I need a little bit of info here. I've been workin on Honda "Car" engine for years now so i'm mechanicly knowlagable to do this.. just need a few tips.

Heres the story. I purchased the 2004 CRF-50 new from dealer, It ran great & still does.. problem is that i was a little abusive to it & seem to have stripped out 1st & 2nd gear. I've got the motor out & have begun to get this thing apart, looks like i have to get the head off to split the case to find my broken peices of what i'll have to get replacments from my dealer.. Question is, i can't seem to figure out the trick as to how to get the head off.

Any help from those of you that have some experience in this would be an awsome help. Thanks in advance for any helpful info givin here.

Tony

Locate cam cover, on the opposite side of the head is a 10mm bolt, remove. This will release the cam cover exposing the cam sprocket and chain

Underside of the motor, two 14mm bolts, one angled into the base, one level. Remove the one sitting at an angle. It has a spring and small piston behind it, remove them.

The cam chain tensioner is now disabled, remove the two 9mm bolts from the cam sprocket, and remove the sprocket itself.

There is a 10mm bolt, cam chain side, connecting the head to the cylinder, remove it.

Remove the 4 10mm stud bolts, noting which one has the copper washer underneath.

Remove the rocker cover.

Slide the head off, watching for a small oring to drop, note where it came from.

Remove the 10mm bolt tying the cylinder to the crankcase.

Remove the cylinder, again watching for orings.

ok, i don't see the 14mm bolts that you are talking about on the bottom. I've taken a couple pix to show where i'm at, hopfully this will help you help me!

I've got the top 4 bolts (10mm) off & that seems to have released the head to the point that the only thing holding it back is the timing chain.

How do i release the timing chain?

PIX:

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Whoa, clean that engine before opening it up! : )

First pic looks like the oil drain bolt is already gone, that only leaves one bolt left on the bottom, flywheel side, towards the front of the motor.

ok.. i got the head off.. it was just the timing chain that was messin wiht me.. i had to get the lil timing gear off there..

the case seems like it wants to split but somethings holding it back..

does the snap ring on the kick starter rod have to be removed??

Still can't figure out whats holdin me back!!

It just won't split all the way!

Heres some pix:

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

Thanks for all the help so far! I really appreciate it!

LMFAO!

dude you got a LONG way to go.

take off the clutch,

primary gear,

all the shifter mechanism,

you need to take the right side off the left side, but i can already tell your going to have mucho problemo.

LMFAO!

dude you got a LONG way to go.

take off the clutch,

primary gear,

all the shifter mechanism,

i'm a serious newb at workin on the inside of this thing..

are there any diagrams or anything that i can look at & see what needs to come off or anyone here that did a write up on this type of a tear down with some pix involved?

i guess i'll just keep taking things off.. i'm really not familure with what the parts are, when u say clutch.. i don't see anythign there that looks like a clutch (i'm used to automotive).

Thanks for the help & putting up with my noobness guys!

Tony

simple motor dude, use the process of elimination.

you need to cleanup your work surface, your going to lose track of what goes where, not no mention all that dirt!!! thats bad for a motor.

that diagram looks like it will help me out a bunch.

i'll keep crackin at this thing tonight & hopfully i can find the culpret inside there!

Thanks! :banghead:

Hey Running - where in Ohio??? If you're close to Cincinnati, we can have that engine fully apart, fixed and back together in about 2 hours. I probably have all the gaskets you need too.

Taken out first and second gears? On a 50??? Egad!!! HOW???

Hey Running - where in Ohio??? If you're close to Cincinnati, we can have that engine fully apart, fixed and back together in about 2 hours. I probably have all the gaskets you need too.

Taken out first and second gears? On a 50??? Egad!!! HOW???

oppisite end of the state, i'm in the Youngstown area. Thanks a lot for the offer tho.

Yes, i'm guessing that i'll be replacing 1st & 2nd gears. I'll be able to see for sure as soon as i get this thing split! I'll be workin on it soem more tonight! Thanks for the help so far guys!!

Have you purchased a service manual? If not... Do so, get a factory one not a clymer brand.

No, i haven't purchased one yet. It looks like i probably should though for when i go to re-assemble this. I'll try & pick one up when i go to the shop for my replacment parts.

Does there happen to be one in PDF format on the web somewhere?

ok.. so who has a trick to getting the "clutch lock nut" off without purchasing some propriatary tool from the honda shop, if it's even avaliable for the public?

pic:

pic6.jpg

screwdriver and a hammer, try to remember how hard you hit it to take it off.

dont forget to pry the lockwasher tab out first

screwdriver and a hammer, try to remember how hard you hit it to take it off.

dont forget to pry the lockwasher tab out first

ok.. yes, i did peal back the tab that was in place. Just wanted to make sure before i started tearin up with the screw driver! Thanks!