Sign in to follow this  

1970's off road catalog

this has been bugging me for the past few days........what was the catalog that you could get for free in the seventies that had lots of cheap stuff for off road bikes? they sold the "iron jaw" faceguard in that catalog, along with cheap riding gear and even cheaper parts. i had an "iron jaw" from them, along with the cheapie jersey and pants that looked as if they were made by some guy at a flea market. i want to think it had the number seven in it's name........you could trick out your KD-125 kawasaki with a set of "husky bend" carbon steel bars that were about 38" wide and a 61 tooth rear sprocket for that impossible hillclimb. it wasn't JC whitney, but more like the precursor to dennis kirk catalogs.

I had an iron jaw on a plain white bell open face way back when. Iwas riding a 73ish kx 125. I still have pictures of it. I had the helmet in the garage until a couple of years ago. We should try to get a few oldie photos going on here, old bikes gear etc.

big 4!! that was it!!! may have become big 5 a few years later, but i recall ordering stuff from big 4. whoa...talk about going back to 1978 for a second!

big 4 is still around, googled them and they are in indiana...probably not the same folks.

the iron jaw was a sort of facemask that you attached to your open face helmet to make it look like the early bell motostar helmet. all my buddies had the scott mask, i was the weirdo with the iron jaw in bright orange on a bright orange helmet with a big kawasaki "K" in lime green on the side. they used to laugh at me, try to make me mad, etc. and then i'd proptly smoke them on our track, which was in a gravel pit. they would get mad cause they got beaten by a guy wearing "big 4" stuff riding a KD-125 which was a KE-125 with lights, speedo and tach, etc. removed. i believe they called them "play bikes". my friends had 1977 YZ-125s and one guy had a 1978 RM-125. heh heh.

pffffffffffffttttttt

Ive got stacks and stacks of catalogs from my grandmothers old cycle shop from the 60's...

Back when Tucker/Rocky was the main distributor

Ive gotta find those...

they had a whole section on different types of bubble shields!