Sign in to follow this  

My XR250R takes too much oil?

A few weeks ago I did my first oil and filter change on my "new" '96 XR250R. The manual states that this should only take about 1.5 quarts of oil. However, I had to add almost two quarts of oil to get the oil level above the lower mark on the dipstick. I checked the oil level according to the instructions in the manual. I started the bike and let if warm up for about five minutes, shut it off and then immediately checked the oil level. I then added oil until the level was above the lower mark on the dipstick. I like to think I am mechanically inclined enough to change my own oil... and I am fairly certain that I am not doing anything wrong. Can anyone give me any ideas? What would cause this problem? I just want to make sure that I am not over-filling or causing any damage.

I have an opinion on this based on wrenching on several dry sump XRs including 250s, 400s, 600s, and 650Rs. I think the indicated oil level will vary significantly during this 5 +/- minute warm up. I also think the only reliable way to confirm oil level is to check after bike is fully warmed up and ridden. Then stop and let bike set a few minutes and then check oil level. This is only way I have been able to get consistant repeatable oil level readings. If whatever you are doing does not give consistant and repeatable oil level readings then you are just guessing. I am still trying to figure this out with my "new" 98XR400. On my second ride I checked oil level after starting up cold and idleing for 5 min. Level was near bottom of dip stick. I was shocked and added up to full mark. I rode for about an hour and rechecked and now it was 2 inches above full mark. So the lesson is to not believe any oil level reading unless the bike is fully warmed up and has been ridden. Same thing happened once on my 650R so now I try to check oil level only after a good ride or you may be over filling. I also would rec'm filling to the top mark on dip stick with the stick not screwed in but just setting on top of threads. I don't pay much attention to how much oil I am pouring in.

A few weeks ago I did my first oil and filter change on my "new" '96 XR250R. The manual states that this should only take about 1.5 quarts of oil. However, I had to add almost two quarts of oil to get the oil level above the lower mark on the dipstick. I checked the oil level according to the instructions in the manual. I started the bike and let if warm up for about five minutes, shut it off and then immediately checked the oil level. I then added oil until the level was above the lower mark on the dipstick. I like to think I am mechanically inclined enough to change my own oil... and I am fairly certain that I am not doing anything wrong. Can anyone give me any ideas? What would cause this problem? I just want to make sure that I am not over-filling or causing any damage.
My '03XR250 requires almost two quarts to hit the full mark with a warmed up engine.

:banghead::banghead:🤣 Yo, jploski, I"ve done the same thing you are talking about,changed oil,rode bike,checked oil.topoff ride again,re-check add oil etc,and believe it or not I"ve actually added slightly over 2 quarts to hit the mark just right,I follow the book to the letter,just like Mar says, the bike runs perfect with no symptoms of over filling what so ever.Could it be that during the process of honda mass producing these motorcycles that the volume of the capped off tubing designed as the oil tank could vary slightly? I dont know,just a thought.XRRon.