Sign in to follow this  

Reborn Rider

Hey guys I'd appreciate all the help I can get. I just bought an 02 DR 650

completely stock with 1000 miles on it. Problems experienced on first ride out. Boiled brake fluid and fried the rotors literally, down a mountain road trying to keep up with an 06 DRZ 400(like that will ever happen). I've read all the threads on this bike for the past two weeks and I'm getting all the mods done soon, but haven't found any real info on this. I found Galfer, moose and a couple of other brake pad manufacturers but what about S.S. lines and rotor disc guard for the rear. Also the bike runs extremly hot, I believe its probably due to the fact that this thing sat for 1 year without being ran and the idle was set too high. Only got about 96 miles before I had to switch to reserve. Not very good for a stock bike. Last question is about the gasket leaking, my bike shows no signs of oil leaks but have read many threads saying it will happen. Should I go ahead and replace now or wait for the leak.

Well, you should have changed _all_ the fluids before you ran it if it has, in fact, been sitting for a year. I'd get that done pronto. I'm assuming you had to install a new battery? Maybe not. Check your tires for cracks in the sidewall from sitting so long. Canyon carving would not be on my list until I did so.

Properly setup, meaning jetted with a dyno kit, fuel screw, airbox mod, and with a suspension upgrade from Jesse, fork springs and rear shock spring, you should easily keep up with, and possibly beat, that DRZ, even on the stock trailwings.

Don't worry about the gasket until it happens. It may never happen. Get it jetted to cool it down plus help it prevent a leak by not warping any metal. Did you warp your rotors? something tells me that if you're street riding down the mountain roads, you need to start grabbing some front brake. You should be smoking the 400 if you're on the street. Unless he has the SM and is an excellent rider. As in most cases, it's always the rider and not the equipment.

Oil and battery were replaced, but nothing else. Rotors I don't think are warpped but are dark along with the fluid, I'm gonna check. I'm ordering from Jesse all the mod updates and I'm going to the local shop to get the JT 14 sprocket. My problem down the mountain is that the bike dips really bad. I'm 220lbs and when I hit the corner and brake whooweee. LOOK OUT ....

The suspension mods alone should make the bike a killer on the road (que old Door song), and not a toad. ;-) Takes care of that front-end dive right away. I'm 230 and the difference is amazing. Be sure to get it properly setup, sag, etc. Just remember it's a tall bike and adjust your style accordingly and you'll be showing that DRZ your back tire real quick.

In other words: Bonzai! ;-)

All good advice so far. I second what Brian said about the gasket leak.

My '02 has just topped 14k miles and still no leak :banghead:

I hope it continues to last.

Do the shock spring mods and beef up the fork oil, I weigh in at around 230

and mixed two bottles of Belray 10# and 15# and used that at the last fork

service... its great and works well with the new springs.

Don't worry about the darkend rotors... get GALFER semi-metallic pads and

keep riding. (part# 114 for the rear)

Hey guys thanks for all the info. I bled the brake lines today, the fluid looked like dirty oil. And the brake pads were glazed, looks like solid metal to metal. Have to figure out how to post pics. and will show you guys.

Those pads look hammered. Is the caliper sticking? Also, when i got my 97 a few months back, the brake fluid had not been replaced yet. Doing this made the feel much better than the old fluid that was in there from the beginning. A good brake system flush may do you some good, especially if something is sticking.

I replaced pads with EBC high performane wow what a difference. Check out the difference in the pics.i12.photobucket.com

I replaced pads with EBC high performane wow what a difference. Check out the difference in the pics.a> mDSCN2303.jpg

damn! those old pads look like 50% copper!!.... not good.

EBC's are great. Keep pumping that fluid through till it runs

clean. It's looks like mine at the last change :banghead:

cooking it does terrible things to it.

if the base gasket leaks it can be fixed with the black silicon hi temp sometimes.

i know cuz I HAD TO DO IT with 2500 miles on it.same as yours 02 650.

glad you like the ebc brakes. i tried them and didnt like them at all, went back to stock. when you do the mods you will notice a huge diff. also with the leak i tore out my smog can and routed my blowby hose down by the swingarm and plugged the hole in the airbox. why? i was thinking that i was getting to much case pressure and it was causing leaks. no more leaking after a tube of rtv. if your doing serious off road dunflop 606s are my favorites. i am doing alot more roading so i am going to try the pirrelli scorpions.got a deal on them.

if it starts leaking oil look for my posts on the subject or message me and i can send em to ya. chew that 400 up. cya

Ratt