Sign in to follow this  

DR. Z 400 needs a lil umphh. REGEAR???

Have a 2000 DRZ400s with a Yoshimur RS-3 exhaust. All my buddies have 250 2-smokes and just beat me racing up Olds hill @ Glamis. Need that little extra "oomph" to get to finish line a bit faster... Thinking of re-gearing by putting a smaller sprocket in front on my machine. Anyone know the pros and cons of doing this. Any info appreciated.

-Alberto

Going smaller on the front will make the bottom end better at the expense of

top speed.

1 tooth on the front is like 3 teeth on the back.

I tried 14/44, then 14/47 and ended with 14/49. I weigh 225 without gear. Bike is so quick now, but top speed on the road is 60. At least, at 60mph the motor is turning as fast as I feel comfortable with. But I only ride it on backroads and am not looking for anything faster than 60 anyway. Also, I hear that smaller in the front causes quicker chain wear. Hope this info helps.

I have tried a lot of different combos, 13/47,49,50 14/47,49,50 and the same with a 15 and I ended up liking 14/49 the best for trails, hills, general dirt riding and 14/47 for lite street use and mild trail and fire road.

If I was you I would change sprockets and get some hot cams then they will be watching your tail light up the hill.

If I was you I would change sprockets and get some hot cams then they will be watching your tail light up the hill.

No way will a drz show a modern 250 two stroke the way up a dune. It has way too much mass and not nearly the power.

no kidding, my 125 will walk all over my DRZ in every environment I can think of.

apples n oranges

A little off the subject, but I am going to be going to a 15/47 from stock on my 400s, I have 3500 miles and was wondering would you guys just go ahead and spend the $ to get a knew chain also. I think I should but don't want to spend money just for the sake of it. What do you think.

Try to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket, if you can see much daylight under the chain between the sprocket teeth then it should be replaced for sure.

Any reason you are not going to the 14/44 instead? It'd be cheaper.

Try to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket, if you can see much daylight under the chain between the sprocket teeth then it should be replaced for sure.

isn't 14/44 the stock gearing? 10guy must mean 14/47

J

Stock S is 15/44. I just ordered a 13 ... I hope it doesn't cause excessive wear or too high rpms during my commute which see's speeds of 75. I'll be at 13/44 until I am able to get an extra set of wheels in the future and then will get a 47 for dirt. :banghead:

Jay as roundeye said stock s is 15/44 stock e is 14/47

khardee your revs will be up there with the 13/44 on the hwy but it won't hurt your engine, mine are usually up there and beyond when I ride. Proper jetting will really help on top end. There should be any unusual wear from your gearing choice, just a bit more on sprockets but nothing to be concerned about.

No way will a drz show a modern 250 two stroke the way up a dune. It has way too much mass and not nearly the power.
Olds is a freeway and as long as your using a paddle drz tears up that hill, my good friend rides a cr250 and we are close to the same speed up it.Now my other riding buddy with a cr500 now that smokes my drz. :banghead: ........Mine is an e not an s so that makes a little difference.

You must be a better rider then or he has an older cr. The power to weight ratio just doesn't make it possible for a drz to beat a 250 smoker, put them in sand and the difference is even greater.

i dont know.. i was pretty close to my homie in a 01 CR250R and an 04 KX250. I did'nt win but we were sure damn close. These guys know how to ride, too. I wasnt getting smoked that is for sure.

Stock S is 15/44. I just ordered a 13 ... I hope it doesn't cause excessive wear or too high rpms during my commute which see's speeds of 75. I'll be at 13/44 until I am able to get an extra set of wheels in the future and then will get a 47 for dirt. :banghead:

too small,you flirting with disaster.i'v tried that before and had counter shaft spockets genade on me.going to a 14 will be a BIG diference for you a 13 will crawl like a slug .good for some situations but not all.if your consitally racing your buddies you'll be shifting all the time and wondering if that small sprocket has any flaws in it.

Have a 2000 DRZ400s with a Yoshimur RS-3 exhaust. All my buddies have 250 2-smokes and just beat me racing up Olds hill @ Glamis. Need that little extra "oomph" to get to finish line a bit faster... Thinking of re-gearing by putting a smaller sprocket in front on my machine. Anyone know the pros and cons of doing this. Any info appreciated.

-Alberto

get an fcr carb they say there good for about 5 hp

((my 125 will walk all over my DRZ in every environment I can think of.)))

90 mph in a high speed sweeper, hunting an R1

You must be a better rider then or he has an older cr. The power to weight ratio just doesn't make it possible for a drz to beat a 250 smoker, put them in sand and the difference is even greater.
It is an older cr (96) and my other friend has a 99 kx I'm sure newer models have a much better power spread, we are about the same level of riders we both got started together riding the same time. And my bike is no where near stock the only part that is original is the frame almost all else is different. :banghead:

I cant pull it away from the sprocket, but is there supposed to be a small amount of side to side play with the chain on the sprocket. I dont know why I was thinking about going with 15/47 instead of 14/44, I think some people have said that it can accelerate chain wear.