Sign in to follow this  

Dual Sported XR400, some ?????'s

Im gonna register my 03 xr400 soon and wanna know a couple of things:

1: What are the best on/offroad tires?? Im gonna be riding, maybe, 50/50-dirt/road.

2: What gearing is gonna be best for both accelaration and speed?? Right now on a 14/47 sprocket combo i can cruise at around 80km/hr without doing too many RPM's (a good engine speed). This sprocket combo has bought the gears very close together and makes gear changing repetitive.

I would like to know what sprocket combo i should use to be able to cruise at around 95-100km/hr, without sacraficing accelaration???

3: Is there anything i should know about riding an XR400 on the road? Like backing it off every so often??

Thanks for ya help guys! :banghead::banghead:

14/47 will probably be okay.

be careful when you transition from dirt to street, do not be spinning the rear wheel when you hit the pavement.

check your oil often, at highway speeds you will probably use more oil than when offroad riding.

I have xr400 -97 and 15/40 sprockets. It's not "dragster" but front wheel jump to air with 2 gear without clutch. Max speed is ~160km/h and my tyres are Michelin Sirac. They are 50/50 road and forest.

I change oil an filter every 500-1000km.

I newer have any bigger problems with that bike.

ps. I'm sorry about my English but I hope that you understand...:banghead:

I always run knobbies on the street, a Metzler Unicross or Dunlop K490 on the front and a Maxxix IT on the rear.

My gearing is 16/45. You will have to remove the case saver, but I have never had a problem on the XR400 since the first one I purchased in 1998. But then again, I always use and o-ring chain properly adjusted with good sprockets. Personally I would not go smaller than 45 on the rear due to the variation in chain tension with smaller sprockets.

Change the oil often, after all, it is an air cooled engine. I change mine after every ride.

Ive been running mine on the road now for a couple years. (01 XR400R) I like the Scotts steering sabilizer and the front fender brace. I run a 15/47.

for SINGAPORE roads.....

14/42 looks sweet good acceleration, good for touring to MALAYSIA no stress on the engine!!!!! (Thumbs up)

I always run knobbies on the street, a Metzler Unicross or Dunlop K490 on the front and a Maxxix IT on the rear.

My gearing is 16/45. You will have to remove the case saver, but I have never had a problem on the XR400 since the first one I purchased in 1998. But then again, I always use and o-ring chain properly adjusted with good sprockets. Personally I would not go smaller than 45 on the rear due to the variation in chain tension with smaller sprockets.

Change the oil often, after all, it is an air cooled engine. I change mine after every ride.

You say its alright to use the knobies on street? Dont they wear out faster that way? Do they grip on the road very well??

If my gearing right now is 14/47 (which can do 80kms on low rpm's), would 14/45 do 100km's at the same RPM???

14/47 to a 14/45 is about a 4.4% increase.

You'l be doing about 83.6 km at the same rpm.

15/45 (which is stock here in the States) will yeild a 12% increase or about 89.5 km at the same rpm