Sign in to follow this  

New RHC intakes & top end on 2003.

Took RHC's advice and replaced the stock piston with a 04 (higher compression), replaced the cam chain & tensioner, and replaced all springs & the intake valves with RHC's kit.

It is once again a 1 or 2 kick bike cold and a one kick warm. I am not sure if it the higher compression piston, dry cylinder break-in, or that my last few rides have been on a xr250, but the bike sure seems to have a lot more power than when new. Or maybe the bike was just that much down on power before due to the valve problems.

I took RHCs advice and used a dry film lubricant during assembly of the cylinder and used no oil for installation of the piston. I started it and let it heat up for about 10 minutes, let it cool completely, then rode it hard for about 20 minutes.

After the break-in I checked the valve clearances and all 4 seemed to tighten some, two will need reshimming. I will reshim them tonight.

We are going riding tomarrow (about 4 hr ride) I will check the valves again and report if they change any.

I had very similar results when I put the RHC intake kit and '04 piston in my '02. It went from a 50-100 kick starter to 1-2 kicks. I also noticed what seemed to be a bit more low-end, which could be just in my mind, or the '04 piston, or just a fresh motor. Probably a combination of all 3.

I set my intakes on the loose end of the spec and they're right where they should be a few months later.