Sign in to follow this  

'05 RM-Z 250 Overheating / Dying Problems

So, decided to race my 2nd ever GNCC, first ever on my 05 RM-Z 250 at Unadilla last weekend. About 5 minutes into the mayhem that is a woods race with over 600 riders my bike started spitting out massive amounts of steaming coolant from the radiator overflow. At about 15 minutes into the race the bike finally died on a steep hill climb. I sat there for about 30 minutes, opened the radiator cap which revealed a bone dry radiator, emptied my camelback into the radiator, finally got the bike to start once it was cool and limped it back into the pits.

I finally dug into the bike last night, flushed out the radiator, put in a fresh 50/50 mix of water & antifreeze, started it up and watched the water circulate in the radiator and thought I was good to go. So, I go riding this morning, everything is going fine until about 20 minutes into the ride while wide open the bike bogs three times and just stops. It wouldn't kick over, tried bump-starting it and starts but then dies again. I let it cool down for about 10 minutes, it kicked over and I nursed it back to the van.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I know that there was a problem with the 04s overheating but I thought that was fixed for 05. I've only raced MX with the bike until now - this has been my first attempts at woods/GNCC style riding with it.

Any ideas?

It sounds like you blew a head gasket. Do not ride it again until you fix it. If it gets too hot you can do major damage to the head. The head can be permanently damaged if it gets to 450 degrees for an extended period of time. It could cause valve issues down the road. If your bike looses coolant it's for a reason. It's a sealed system it's not supposed to leak unless there is a problem. I would recommend going back with Engine Ice not regular antifreeze, your aluminum headed motor deserves the best.

Let us know if it was the head gasket. ( :banghead: surface the head before reassembly)

One of our pro riders has an 05 that always runs hot. Engine Ice, Radiator mods, 1.8 cap, vented front fender and rad louvers, It Still overheats during long motos. The last time out it got real hot and cooked the Stator . The epoxy flaked off of the windings and it shorted out. Check your stator if your bike still won't start.(Not saying that you still may have a cooling problem Head gsk. etc.)