Sign in to follow this  

Sad, sad, sad...

That is to bad..... I'm thinking someone needs a ass beating.

A 12yr and a 6 yr old riding what sounds like doubles on a quad unsupervised. Whats wrong with that picture...

:banghead:

And i dont know about other states, but in Ca, it's illegal for anyone under the age of 16 to ride an ATV...safety gear or not. sad....

it's not the quads fault dude. it's the idiot parents fault for letting them ride like that. how many people have died on bikes? i can think of 3-4 personally that my family knows of.

Augggghhhhhhhhhhhh Home Schooling, a reward for good grades. I guess they missed the lesson on safely.

it's not the quads fault dude. it's the idiot parents fault for letting them ride like that. how many people have died on bikes? i can think of 3-4 personally that my family knows of.

who said it was the quads fault?

Sad,

but the parents are at fault, the quad was just a vehicle,

granted the parents probably felt "safer" because of "4 wheels"

never thinking about the weight of the thing or the amount of skill needed to drive 1 at speed....

most important... RIDING GEAR... RIDING GEAR ...RIDING GEAR.....

come on folks... bottom line...it saves lives and helps to prevent or at least limit injury... i don't care who you are....

I've heard news stories about way too many of these same sorts of deaths around my area lately. It's not the quads fault, but their design does lead them to be used improperly more easily. When I was 6 and learned to ride a bike, the first thing I had to master was picking it up when it fell over. You think a 6 year old can pick up, roll over, the size of quads that some of them are on? And that's the whole problem, unlike a bike that will pretty much size itself to the rider. At least weight and height wise. A quad is more stable and will allow a rider much too small for it to operate it at a level that won't discourage them like a bike would.

So where does this lead. To better understanding by parents as to what is appropriate for their child. How many parents you think could give a good answer? Or understand the real dangers? And how easy is it to find that information? I've never seen a pamphlet at my local shop. I think the manufacturer's need to step up to the plate and make this kind of information more accessible.

Funny thing is that I know people who won't let their kids ride motorycles because they are too dangerous, but think nothing of them riding a quad. Unfortunately without any experience or factual information from a reputable source most parents are left to their gut feel, and a lot don't apparently seem to be getting the right feel.

I've heard news stories about way too many of these same sorts of deaths around my area lately. It's not the quads fault, but their design does lead them to be used improperly more easily. When I was 6 and learned to ride a bike, the first thing I had to master was picking it up when it fell over. You think a 6 year old can pick up, roll over, the size of quads that some of them are on? And that's the whole problem, unlike a bike that will pretty much size itself to the rider. At least weight and height wise. A quad is more stable and will allow a rider much too small for it to operate it at a level that won't discourage them like a bike would.

So where does this lead. To better understanding by parents as to what is appropriate for their child. How many parents you think could give a good answer? Or understand the real dangers? And how easy is it to find that information? I've never seen a pamphlet at my local shop. I think the manufacturer's need to step up to the plate and make this kind of information more accessible.

Funny thing is that I know people who won't let their kids ride motorycles because they are too dangerous, but think nothing of them riding a quad. Unfortunately without any experience or factual information from a reputable source most parents are left to their gut feel, and a lot don't apparently seem to be getting the right feel.

You do make some valid points...but really, how far should the manufacturer have to go? Those units come plastered with stickers saying "use appropriate safety gear" and "it is against the law to operate this machine if you are under the age of 16". There is a certain point where common sence has to step in. A lot of manufactuerers even offer safety courses on how to properly use an ATV.

I'll just about garandammtee that quad had a half dozen stickers on it saying to never ride double, not to ride it if under 16, and to alway wear a helmet. If that didn't clue the parents in then I don't know what would have. Stupid parents sometimes end up with dead kids. Sad but true.

The beauty of bikes is that they are self limiting. The problem with quads and 3-wheelers in the day is that they are not. Since it balances itself when not moving it must be safe to put your 80 pound kid on a 500+lb quad without a helmet, right. Stupid parents :banghead::banghead:

thats sad, my dad is the coroner of our county and in the past 20 years you wouldn't believe how many kids/teenagers die doing fun stuff that goes wrong. It's all fun till somebody dies.

And i dont know about other states, but in Ca, it's illegal for anyone under the age of 16 to ride an ATV...safety gear or not. sad....

Not exactly true, the dealers can't sell full sized quads to anyone under sixteen. When I bought one for my daughter, she didn't want a bike then, there are stickers stating which age the quad is designed for based on engine size.

An adult can buy anything then hand it over to their child, it's their call. Too bad that they sometimes make the WRONG call. :banghead:

Saying it's the fault of irresponsible parents is absolutely true. And your right about the stickers, and all the safety warnings in the manual, and the courses offered when a quad is purchased.

Unfortunately all of these things don't seem be enough. I think this is especially true for people who don't normally recreate on their quad. Most of the stories I've heard are like the one in the article where it was a family owned quad in a rural area on private land. In my experience these tend to be older quads that weren't purchased with the kids currently riding them in mind. They may not have even been bought new due to the intended use, thus no training provided to the current owner. Or the owner didn't take the course because the intended use was putting around a farm. In my observations, these are the owners who do a poor job of role modeling good safety habits to their children. They tend not to wear helmets, boots, and other protection due to their use... a farm tool. These are the quads owners that don't seem to have gotten the message about their children using quads safely.

If we all just sit back and blame the parents, nothing will improve and more children will die. What I meant by saying the manufacturer's have to step up, is that it seems like a viable way to improve the situation. Because you know that if it doesn't improve, the government will step in and almost certainly screw it up.

Keep your day job. It is NOT illegal for a child under 16 to ride a quad in CA. It is illegal for a child under 16 to ride a quad designed for children 16 or older. CA requires labeling of such quads. :banghead:

Keep your day job. It is NOT illegal for a child under 16 to ride a quad in CA. It is illegal for a child under 16 to ride a quad designed for children 16 or older. CA requires labeling of such quads. :banghead:

OK so i wasnt 100% accurate...but unless these girls were on a quad that was designed for 6-12 year olds, it really doesnt matter. Either way, im willing to bet that what they were doing was not 100% legal, and obviously not safe. Damn Rick, what are you a f-ing cop or something? :banghead:

My son and I have been riding dirt bikes for about 3 years now. He's now 13. In our area we know of several near-fatal, life-altering 4 wheeler accidents(terribly sad stories), as well as a couple of deaths. Some involved more than one kid riding at a time. Most did not have helments.

Parents we talk with about the subject just don't get it. They say "with all these 4 wheeler accidents happening, you're really taking a chance letting your son ride a MOTORCYCLE." Even my brother and his wife, who have 3 daughters, refuse to let them even try to ride a motorcycle, yet they are happy to let them ride big 4 wheelers around the farm without any safety gear whatsoever. This frustrates us, because we all wear the full barrage of safety gear.

People can't get past the "4 wheels are safer" mentality. Obviously 4 wheelers can be riden safely, but they create a severely false sense of security. Most new riders are not at all prepared for the reality of what happens to the control of a big 4 wheeler in a crash.

If we all just sit back and blame the parents, nothing will improve and more children will die. What I meant by saying the manufacturer's have to step up, is that it seems like a viable way to improve the situation. Because you know that if it doesn't improve, the government will step in and almost certainly screw it up.

What more would have the manufacturers do.

They sticker the crap out them. EVERY new quad purchase by the big 5 and maybe even the little guys gets you a free pass to training.

Mandatory IQ tests for idiot parents won't fly. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink. Bikes are self limiting you're 6 year old physically can't start/ride a crf 450 and you wouldn't want them to even if they "could" because you are a responsible adult and understand what could happen with that amount of power on tap.

However that same six year old could get on a 700 cc 500+lb quad and zoom himself off to never never land inthe blink of an eye but you wouldn't let them because you are a responsible adult and understand what could happen with that amount of power on tap.

THERE IS NOTHING IN THE WORLD THAT THE MANUFACTURERS CAN DO TO PREVENT DEATHS CAUSED BY IDIOT PARENTS. AND THEY SHOULDN'T ITS JUST UNFORTUNATE DARWIN CAN'T GET THEM INSTEAD OF THEIR INNOCENT CHILDREN.