Sign in to follow this  

250 SXF woods bike????

Really considering one for HS in the Mid West, looking for any input.

I'm on the list for one at our local dealer, he doesn't think it will work well, but i think with a JD kit and a little suspension tweaking, it could be awesome.

Some concerns though are starting, overheating and valve problems. Haven't heard any nightmares yet so hopefully all is well.

I'm coming off of a 200SX, Awesome bike just time for a change.

Thanks for any input!

If you have not been, try KTMTalk.com lots of guys reviewing the bike in the woods over there.

i have been having fun on an XR250 for several years, ride hard in woods, trails, and even made some feeble attempt at motocross.... now i NEED a race bike. have ordered a 250SXF, which will most assuredly work well on the motocross track. remains to be seen if it can replace the XR for playing around the homestead. with fuel at 3 bucks a gallon, the XRcould make a fun little commuter/motard type bike, likely capable of 75 miles per gallon.

Trail tech has a handle on the lighting & kickstand part, you will need a spark arrestor, a 18" rear wheel & a bit of carborator work (mostly reduce the squirt of the AC pump), and it will do very well. Do not expect the engine to last like that 200 does, it like any other 13,000 RPM 4 stroke will need a top end job no less than once a year.

I have three months on an 07 250sxf and I love it.

I have been riding a Honda 450 X for the and it was killing me. At 42 I dont race anymore and there is realy not a pressing issue for all that power ( and weight). I was loooking for a few things.

1- Weight

A lighter bike turns better, accelerates better, brakes better, is easier to throw around, and it wont suck the life out of you when you pick it up from the ground (specially the tenth time).

2- Less power

A 50+ horsepower 450 will try to take your arms out of their sockets everytime that you nail it and push you hard against your handelbars trying to stop all of that power. This waists a lot of energy and is unnecesary punishment that I could live without.

3-A motocross bike

We ride every weekend and we like to mix it up. I would say 50% MX and 50% trails, with an ocassional enduro or hare scramble in the mix. A trail bike's suspension and powerband does a lousy motocross bike. The suspension is to soft for the big hits and the powerband will leave you at the end of the pack ALL the time. The extra accesories like battery, head lights, kickstand, starter, bigger radiator, etc, will only weight you down. On the other hand, an MX bike will get through the toughest trail known to man. It will be a little more technical to ride and the suspension would be a little less plush but that is not a problem for an experienced rider.

Bottom line, IT ROCKS! and I am very happy with the results. It is a screamer all the way to 14,000 and the suspension will not let you down on the trail. Make sure that you jet correctly or it will be hard to start. It is race ready out of the box and sure to tear up any kind of trail.

I am glad I made the change.

I've had mine for about 7 months. For the previous 5 years I've been on 300exc's. Originally I was going to have an mx bike and a woods bike. I just sold my 300 a week ago and ordered and 18" rear wheel complete. I just plan on swapping them out.

I took it on some serious single track and I was impressed. It's no 300, but it's good enough not to have two bikes. On HS type trails/speeds I like it even better, easier to go faster. I really need to get my suspension done to work better for both worlds, but havn't got to it yet. Trying to decide if I should get an '08 and sell the '07 or not.

If I were going to do off-road only, HS/single track, I'd consider an '08 200XC or 250F XC, they will have all the suspension / frame updates, with the 'F' having e-start.

If you working the bike and you stall it. It can be a pain to get started! That's the worst trait to me.

with fuel at 3 bucks a gallon

Pfft you guys have it sweet. We pay close to $6 a gallon down here in NZ.

The 250SXF is a great bike. It hauls my 200lb ass around.

21 year old 135LBS Intermediate rider (lightweight yes)on 250SXF-

- Pro Action Suspension

- 18" Rear, 50 Rear Gear,

- Flywheel Weight

- JD Jetting (A MUST)

RACE: Competitive Harescrambles

PLAYRIDE: Knarly XC Trails with singletrack.

Great all around bike, im JUST getting starting down, seems a slow/steady kick is way to go with auto decompress.

See My Bike

th_2006KTM250SXFRockstar600.jpg

Strong bottom for nasty hills (with my weight), wicked fast & straight for singletrack, suspension/power delivery is almost too good to be true. I had a crappy front tire on last ride that kept washing but the suspension was so responsive and predictable that if the tire was washing i would just put some more throttle on and the bike reacted how i wanted it to. The absolutle one thing this bike LOVES for me is roots, i deliberately twist the throttle to the stop & jump roots, cause I can!, Wet roots are a different story tho..

This bike is made to be revved to the moon, however with my lightweight I can get away with chugging it, someone who actually weights a normal 170-200 lbs will need to up the RPM's a bit.

I did about an hour of pure hell XC trail on the bike and it only started to puke outta overflow valve a bit when I stopped to look for a trail, but it pulled nice off the bottom, i would recommend getting a flywheel weight.

If you want to get creative get a big bore kit and add an overflow catch bottle somewhere on the bike (some use airbox)

One thing I am getting used to doing is reving the snot outta it, I rarely see 3rd as i just rev 2nd to the moon and usualy downshift to 1st for whatever corner and almost hit the rev limitor.

This bike made riding FUN again for me, not a chore anymore! But i did go from a 01' 200 MXC....

Starting is not a problem is the bike is jetted correctly and the valves are in spec. I just picked up an '06 312 sxf and it starts like a dream in all conditions. But, yes, very different starting technique than a smoker. Also, do not blip the throttle when you start the bike cold until the clutch cover warms up a bit, per the tech bulletin. Use 10w oil in warm weather and 5w oil in cold weather (sub 40F). I still prefer my 200 EXC for the tight stuff, but that may change after getting more seat time on the 312.