Sign in to follow this  

525 EXC or 625 SXC?

I am buying ORANGE this weekend! :banghead: I have a dealer who has a 2003 625 SXC and a 04 525 EXC for sale for about the same price, both in premo condition. I am looking to get some opinions on which to get. I know they are 2 different beasts, and I am new to KTM's. I plan riding mostly off-road with it, maybe a few hare & hound races, but I will convert it into a dual sport either way. Also, I do a few 100-250 mile mostly off-road trips every year when it cools down. I plan to have my local suspension guru re-valve the suspenders on whichever bike I buy, so it is set up for me. Thanks!

The 525 would be great if you are riding all offroad. It is lighter, great power etc. It will require A LOT more maintence though. It needs valves and oil every 20 hours or something like that.....check with someone else who has a RFS.

The 625 will be much better if you are gonna do a bunch os street riding. The maintenence is oil and vales every 3000 miles.

If you plan on racing the 525 is WAY better. I do some Desert Scrambles on my 640 Adventure while I try to get into shape for a 300 mile race and it is a total bitch. The courses are set up for small bikes like 450 or 250's.

Sounds like the 525 would be better for you if you plan on doing your own valves and oil...

I have a 625 SXC that is dual sported and it is a great all around bike but not a racer.

I think the SXC is a little lighter than the 640 adventure but the 525 is lighter than the 625 also. Like Craig says the LC4 engine requires a bit less maintenance but the RFS

is probably better if you are going to race or ride enduros. It appears that alot of folks

have dual sported the EXCs but I have not heard much either way as far as them being

satisfied or unhappy. I ride my SXC about 80% dirt and 20% street.

If you haven't done so already you might go to www.ktmtalk.com and get some more answers.

Sam

I ride a '04 625 sxc daily and 100% street and love it.

The maintenance is a little more regular than the LC4 but for the riding pleasure its a small price to pay.

I believe the 625 IS an LC4.

I've ridden both and the 625 is a tank compared to the 525. It's a physically much larger bike and seems to vibrate quite a bit more than the 525. I'd go

525 and never look back. Just my 2cents.