Sign in to follow this  

Top End Time?

Please help, my 04 KXF requires a top end rebuild, now do i put the same OEM junk in or is it worth the extra for the stainless steel valves and all the expensive things that go with it. Will it put an end to shimming and frequent valve replacement? Also is it essential to change the piston and have the valve seats recut at the same time? I have to do the work myself as these South African dealers cant be trusted to get it right! will i have to lap the stainless steel valves if i decide to go for them. :banghead:

I seem to be constantly re-shimming the clearances, it does run hot and overflows as soon as i stop moving, this motor has been the most painfull thing to keep running i have ever owned. Is this normal?

Is the pro circuit option the best thing to go for? more reliable than the Kibblewhite offerings?

PC has stiffer valve spring offerings, and I beleive tougher valves as well. They are the premier KXF Tuner. So good are they that the CRF250 guy send their stuff to them as well.

btw - it is not normal to constantly re-shim. If they are continually getting tight you are sucking the valves in, and having the head done and replacing valves will definately help.

If the valves are getting loose you are building up deposits on the valves and valve seats. This will result in a gradual loss of power, hard starting, and valve guid wear (really bad if left unattended).

the exhaust valves do look rather burnt, but the seats look fine, the valves have been junked now, isnt the pro circuit set up expensive compared to the kibblewhite parts? i would rather have reliablity than all out power any way, is it normal to have the valve seats attended to before putting a fresh valve train in? i will be replacing the piston at the same time as well as honing the cylinder, but this 04 KXF is a pain in the arse when it wants to be.

Who ever you decide to go through for parts, just make sure they are quality parts.

Any time you do valves, you MUST have them lapped, or if necessary have new valve seats cut, and then lapped. I can not emphasize this enough!!

the exhaust valves do look rather burnt, but the seats look fine, the valves have been junked now, isnt the pro circuit set up expensive compared to the kibblewhite parts? i would rather have reliablity than all out power any way, is it normal to have the valve seats attended to before putting a fresh valve train in? i will be replacing the piston at the same time as well as honing the cylinder, but this 04 KXF is a pain in the arse when it wants to be.

take care of that over heating problem...