Sign in to follow this  

WR or YZF

First off I haven't had a chance to ride either of these bikes so I thought I would see what you all thought. I have been doing my homework for about a month or so trying to decide on what to buy for a 1st bike. Everyone has told me suspension work is a must with my size (6' 260lbs) My question is, would the suspension and power of a YZF be better suited for me since it is a race bike. I am assuming the suspension is alot stronger on the YZ than the WR or would it really matter. I do like the electric starter on the wr but I could live without it if it saved me time and trouble.

BTW I do not plan on doing any racing besides may an enduro someday. Mostly trails.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has ridden or owned both bikes please reply

Thanks, Chris

The WR has a lower 1st gear and higher 4th and 5th gears. It also has a weighted flywheel that helps when crawling along in the tight twisties. Obviously it has a headlight and an e-start. You'll have to decide if the are things you want.

Although the WR is down on power in stock form, the free mods wake it up quite a bit. If you want all the power of a YZF you can spend ~$120 on a YZF cam and ~$50 on a stock YZF exhaust. After those mods the engines are the same, plus you'd have the Wider Ratio tranny of the WR. The WR tops out ~85 mph and the YZF tops out ~65 mph.

The YZF will be lighter and have snappier throttle response due to no flywheel weight, and a lighter back tire and non-o-ring chain. It also has a smaller tank so it feels less top heavy, but gives up a little on fuel range.

I think given your weight, you'll be re-springing whichever bike you get. They're both designed for a 175lb rider.

If you're riding trails and may enduro, I think the WR is tailor made for you. Have you ruled out a 450?

The WR is definitely the best choice for the type of riding you are doing. Are you looking at new or used?

I just slung my leg over a WR450 today and it feels smaller than my 03 WR250 due to the tank and shroud config.

Search this forum for your title and you will find lots of valuable info on the 2 bikes.

Thanks for the replies, I did do a search but I must have worded it wrong or something. I have not completely ruled out the 450 but I was trying to keep the weight and price down as much as possible since I will probably spend some time picking it up off the ground do to my lack of experience. I am also a little timid about the 450s power I don't want to buy something that I won't be comfortable with. As far as new or used is it a good idea to buy a used bike?

Thanks, Chris

I would think it is a good idea to get the 250 compared to the 450, especially if you a new rider. The 250f is already about 250 lbs. when fueled, no need to add more weight for power you won't need for many years. It also is around a grand less if bought new, so more money to make it the way you want it (skidplate, bars, crap like that). Also if you are pretty mechanically inclined then you could get used, just look it over really well ande don't get too excited about any certain bike. You want to catch as many problems as you can so you don't have to PAY in the long run. And if you get the short end of the 4stroke stick, you WILL pay. So my advice would be to either get a recent used bike 2003 and up because of electric start and weight ergonomics etc. Also, the bike generally wouldn't break as much as an older one. Change the oil alot, buy a manual, keep chain tension correct, buy some temperature strips, grease all of your bearings etc. even if you buy it new! If you do buy it new, I have heard you should run it like you stole it within the first 20 miles of riding according to this site... http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Ok I'll stop giving you an earful.

EDIT: I have also heard a few TT'ers say, if you ride alot then you put $100 or so dollars into your bike every month on an older bike, anyway fixing what breaks. So you might as well buy a new one for that amount and feel all giddy inside for your awesome purchase, I'm not man enough to do that, not to mention rich enough. :banghead:

A used bike can be both good and bad.

The bad side being the bike could have been ridden really hard with neglected up keep.

The good side is that a used bike is way cheaper than a new bike.

It just depends on the owner of the bike, whether it was properly taken care of or not. I personally bought my bike used and haven't had any out of the ordinary problems with it.

Like I said it just depends on the type of person that owned the bike before. Once you look at used though you have to start looking at different model years there are....

Oh yeah I forgot the original question. The WR and YZ have the same motor, chassis, and suspension. The suspension is valved differently so it is softer and doesn't suit a motocross track as well as the YZ. If you end wanting to race it on a motocross track, it isn't going to break or anything, they are essentially the same bike. You will have to chop a wire to get the YZ ignition map, and remove the exhaust baffle to make it loud and annoying but get more power (I personally am getting a new baffle to have better power and still be quiet, but that isn't an option on 05 and up Wr's I believe), remove airbox lid if you aren't riding in especially muddy/wet conditions etc. Get a new exhaust cam if you want the YZ powerband $130, and replace throttle stop. Then you'll need to rejet for all the changes

Ok now that that is out of the way, the WR is heavier because of a steel subframe and big dumb steel exhaust ( I am not positive this is true for '03 and up, I have an '02), electric start on models '03 and up. The WR is more expensive initially, but you could try and get your dealer to thrown in a new exhaust cam for free if you are crafty, they might even do all of the mods for free...

The WR comes with a heavier flywheel for smoother power delivery, and less stalling at low RPM. A lighting circuit to power the lights, of course it comes with the lights too. All the YZ parts fit on a WR, as long as you get the correct mounting hardware...

Unless you are thinking 2006 YZ250f, then that changes eveything because it has an aluminum frame and stuff probably won't work 100%. But I think you would never notice the aluminum frame unless you have been riding competively for years, so i wouldn't let that be a selling point unless you are into one-up-manship...

Ok I have talked enough again...

EDIT: You could get a NEW WR or Steel framed YZ for pretty cheap nowadays because they are releasing the 2006 versions. That would save some $$$

Thanks guys I appreciate it, btw any other guys my size out there riding 250s?

There's plenty. There was a thread recently concerning how heavy was too heavy for the little thumper.

WR all the way for trails. Dont be fooled it is pure race bike and as stated earlier with the free mods a couple inexpensive extras it will have more than you want. Also dont confuse the WR with a dual purpose bike, they are not in the same category. The lights are for night racing not cruising down the street, it just so happens you can tag it in some areas, but the tires are not for street purpose. You would hurt yourself with my setup on the road.:banghead:

I didn't realize you were a new rider. The 250 (either YZF or WR) will have plenty of power, even at your weight. I'd avoid the 450.

I have seen a new rider buy a 450, only to sell it shortly thereafter because the power was just too much.

I am not near your size. (5'5) and the WR250 is great !!!

I didn't read all the other posts, but here is my .02. I think the YZ250F is the best all around bike (except for desert). Pick up a quiet insert for ur exhaust and you can ride track or trails :banghead:

I'm around 210 and have ridden a YZ426 in the woods for three years. I took one ride on a used 02 YZ250F and bought it for $2,200 OTD. I figure I can put a $1,300 into the motor (new valves and 262 bore kit) and have a great bike for less than half the price of a new one. The 250f is just way more fun to ride in the woods than the 426 was. Since you are new to riding I would recommend getting a WR250f with its e start and all, but I you find a good deal on a use YZ250f I would not pass it up. My $.02

Thanks for all the good info and ideas, I might start looking at used bikes too but will probably go with new. Is there alot of difference in 05 vs o6 or would it not be enough to worry about?

Like I said I appreciate all the input, wish me luck.

i bought mine used(for pics check out my garage) and its full of surprises. he said the engine is stock, but my bike does 65 miles per hour with a 10 tooth front sproket, it should only do like 50(stock is 14) i think the transmission might be played around with. so you gotta be real careful, do you have a buddy with a 250f?

The WR comes stock with an O-Ring chain oversized gas tank kickstand headlight and E-Start. If you're not going to race motocross then get the WR it will be much nicer in the woods.

I would try to ride steel and aluminum frame bikes before buying an alum. frame. The steel frames will flex while riding giving the rider a lot more feedback, feel and more control. The alum. frames are extremely rigid and do not flex which gives the bike completely different characteristics. Each type is a personal preference but more info you might use is deciding. My 05 WR is a magnificent handling bike, steel frame. :banghead: