Installing Rally Pro Handguards

OK, another stupid noobie question...

I bought a set of Acerbis Rally Pro handguards. However, when I put the medial (inboard) bracket on the bars (stock) I can't get the plug end at the end of the bar all the way in. Do I need to trim or cut some of the inboard end off or is there some trick to mounting these?

Thanks...

Not quite sure what your problem is from the description but....

When I put the rally pro's on mine I needed a 5/8 inch spacer between the handle bar end and the guard. The inboard end of the guard was hitting the fork tube. I used a SS nut from the hardware store. I also remember someone here used a plumbers tube.

When I installed the Jim Button bars they were wide enough I no longer needed the spacer. Nor the nylon tubing that slipped over the bar expander. Hope it helps :banghead:

Ya, that's basically the problem. the bars aren't wide enough AND the inboard end is up against the clamp. SO, your idea for a spacer is a VERY good one. That's what I will be doing, I think. OR I could shave away part of the inboard end...not sure, will try the spacer idea first, then if that doesn't fly start cutting. thanks for the advice.

OK, I feel like freakin' McGuyver here...In order to fill the gap between the end of my bars and where the outboard end of my handguards were situated,

I went out to the local hardware store and dug around in their bolt/crew tubs for a while until I found something I thought would work. I found a nylon spacer/bushing doohicky. Unfortunaetly it was slightly too narrow internally to fit over the bar-end insert. So, I bored it out a bit and it fits great. It fills the gap nicely and the handguards fit really well now :banghead:.

I'm new to working on my bike so alas, even these little things are pretty exciting!!! :banghead: