Sign in to follow this  

Order of Mods for SM

I have been reading a bit these past few weeks and just want to get an idea if my thinking is correct for order of mods performance wise.

1. 3x3 + Jet Kit (Ordered FM Kit Monday)

2. Replace Filter

3. Full Exhaust (Will order RS3 Yoshi end of this week or next)

Ok after that I am not sure what the next logical step is but based on reading could do the following

4. FCR 39

5. E Base Gasket

6. Hot Cams In and Out

7. Big Bore Kit (Only if the above is not enought)

Am I missing any thing? Are the 4-7 in the most logical order. I know the CDI deal is just getting sorted out from what I have been reading, so that could be something else down the road if I have the motor to use it. The bike will be ridden mostly on the road, so I will admit the only reason for doing all this is that I like to tinker.

The only other non cosmetic thing I plan on doing to the bike is a siffer rear shock/spring but have not figure out how to handle that yet. I am not a small guy so I would like to firm up the back a little bit.

Just remember that the air filter and exhaust will affect your jetting. I would do them all at the same time, just to save yourself some work.

Good point. I will try and get the filter this week so I only have to do the jetting twice. I would like to do the Yoshi after the 3x3/JetKit so can get a feel for what power the Yoshi added. Plus I have not done a whole lot of rejetting and practice makes perfect :banghead:

Good point. I will try and get the filter this week so I only have to do the jetting twice. I would like to do the Yoshi after the 3x3/JetKit so can get a feel for what power the Yoshi added. Plus I have not done a whole lot of rejetting and practice makes perfect :banghead:

I was thinking...no, no...only do it ONCE...but

Plus I have not done a whole lot of rejetting and practice makes perfect :banghead:
makes so much sense.

Along with the FMF SM jet kit, get the extended fuel screw, a 25 pilot jet, and allen head screws for the fuel bowl:

2 each M4 x .7 10mm long

2 each M4 x .7 12mm long

Socket head cap screw

Remove the clutch and sidestand safety switches, trim the excess junk off the rear fender, and move your license plate up to just under the rear light. Remove the ugly reflectors off the front fender (including brackets).

Along with the FMF SM jet kit, get the extended fuel screw, a 25 pilot jet, and allen head screws for the fuel bowl:

Why the allen screws for the fuel bowl, 25 pilot jet and extended fuel screw? Could you explain this as I have the DJ kit on order from the TT store. I think the kit has the necessary items in it to do all that stuff - right?

Why the allen screws for the fuel bowl, 25 pilot jet and extended fuel screw? Could you explain this as I have the DJ kit on order from the TT store. I think the kit has the necessary items in it to do all that stuff - right?

The stock bowl screws are very soft and will most likely strip out. If they do you will have to grab them with Vise-Grips or cut a slot in them with a hacksaw or Dremel. I took my stock ones to the hardware store with me and sized up the replacement allen heads after I removed the carb.

Well the FMF jet kit that I ordered is on back order till Nov. So I have a question, I know i could probably find it someplace but it opens the door for moving to the FCR. If I bought an FCR would I also need to get an FMF or DJ kit for the 400E (since it comes with the 39) and if so would I need to buy the extended screw for the E vs the S and does the FMF or DJ kit come with the pilot jet needed unlike the kit for the SM?

Ok need to revise my question due to recent purchases.

I now have, or have on the way

E Base Gasket

Stage 2 Hot Cams (E & I will get shims as needed)

FCR

Will order or buy local

JD kit for FCR

Any Jets needed not in kit

Zip Fuel Mix Screw

So obviously I am missing an Exhaust, which I will get an RS3 when I get some more cash. Kind of when out of order due some deals that I coud get ect. So Should I hold off on the cams till I get the exhaust and just install the FCR and do the 3x3 or should I just do them all at once. Or should I install the cams with the Mikuni (have jest for it too) and run it like that to make sure that was all ok before putting on the FCR. Or should I put the FCR and 3x3, make sure all is good then do the cams and gasket?

Just do it all at once. E gasket (you need new rings if you didn't buy some), cams, FCR, 3x3, JD kit.

Buy a Pilot Air Screw and spring from Sudco also. You should get some FCR pilot and main jets from them as well.

The exhaust can come later it wont affect jetting etc too much.

Is the pilot air screw and spring from Sudco different then what will come on the carb? Looking at the catalog it just looks like replacement parts vs upgrades on those?