Sign in to follow this  

YZ or WR that is the question

i'm looking at bikes but i'm torn between YZ's, WR's, and 250 or 450...

The type of riding i want to do is mostly trail, some sand dune, and possibly hare scrambles. I'm about 5'11" and 200lbs

i would really like to plate the bike and run it down the road which is why i was leaning to the wr and possibly the 450 or a used 400 so that i'm not reving it too high.

can someone please help me??

Are you serious, or joking? :banghead: I'm sorry, this just seems to be an ongoing theme. Search this forum, your answer lies there.

i was watching the other threads and never really found my answer so i thought the questions should be asked again...sorry

my main concern is the weight of the 450 in the sand and the rpm's of running a 250 down the road at 60-70mph

i was watching the other threads and never really found my answer so i thought the questions should be asked again...sorry

my main concern is the weight of the 450 in the sand and the rpm's of running a 250 down the road at 60-70mph

The 450's are going to fare better in the sand and on the highway. You need the extra power to get thru the loose stuff. The WR will be better suited for the highway if you are indeed going to plate the bike. Make sure you can legally plate a WR. Here in NC.....good luck. You just really need to figure out where you are going to spend most of your time with the bike. Geared correctly, a WR250 can be turned into a streetable bike.

i won't need to go more than 70 for if i wanna take it down the highway and such which will be rare.. mostly it'd be semi-tight trails and dunes

thanks for the info...i have a hard time trusting dealers especially the a-holes that are local

I agree, the WR450 is the bike for you based on what you're after.

I was personally dead set on getting the WR250 this year (I ride 95% trails and 5% sand) but then I decided on the new 06 YZ250F instead. I want to feel what it's like to ride a 210 pound bike for a change. I'll miss the e-start though....

i won't need to go more than 70 for if i wanna take it down the highway and such which will be rare.. mostly it'd be semi-tight trails and dunes

thanks for the info...i have a hard time trusting dealers especially the a-holes that are local

Well, what do you think? a 450 or 250, WR or YZF.

Here's what everyone says:

YZF for racing.

WRF for trails.

And don't get me wrong that's true. The YZF and WRF are similar bikes, but one was created for trails and one was created for racing. The problem is the WR is really heavy. I'm sure you would have fun picking that thing up off the ground or yourself after riding for a long time.

The WRF has wider gears than the YZF. That means the YZF will go through the gears much faster than the WRF.

The WRF also has lights (which come in handy) but then again, you can just buy aftermarket lights for the YZF.

The choice is pretty much your's. Their both great bikes, but since the YZF is so much lighter I would pick it over the WRF. I go to the tracks alot too.. so I guess I would go for the YZF no matter what :banghead:.

Oh yeah, and get the 450F. Much faster, especially if your going to be on the street.

Good luck on finding a new bike.