Sign in to follow this  

Should I hone cylinder?

adding a new piston and rings to the 04" 250r , strange the shop manuel says nothing about honing or re crosshatching , even though my crosshatching is still good should i still need to hone it lightly for the new rings to seat?

How can your crosshatching still be good? I thought that it went away in within the first 1/2 hour of riding? Which is why the most important part of break in is those first 15 minutes. Not bashing at all, I just want to know. Can somebody tell me?

Yes, you should hone it. You're not trying to clean up the crosshatches, just getting the glaze off the cylinder.

TJ,

What is the best way to hone a cylinder?

With a hone! :banghead:

Haha, you asked for that one...

You just do a light hone, obviously with a hone the right size, and just do it enough to break the glaze.

some hones can be expensive when you compare the price to the 5 minutes you use it over the life of the bike... maybe be a good idea to check on what a shop would charge for the work to compare with the price of the hone

I took mine to a machine shop. You aren't really "honing" the cylinder, you are trying to clean out the aluminum that has filled in the cross hatching and remove glazing. The nikasil (nickel-silicon-carbide) lining is much harder than the hone material (either aluminum oxide or silcion carbide). The only way to really hone the cylinder would be with a diamond hone, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Ok, Im gonna just hit it a few times to deglaze it. And there is still lots of cross hatch , I thought that was strange , not the same as all the car cylinders I have seen, I wonder if its normal or recently done? Oh well, parts are in the mail now! like the prices at servicehonda.com just not the fastest shipping. Got new piston,rings,pin,clips,both gaskets for 109.00 Shipped!

just tore down my kids 04 250 the cross hatch is like stock or new cylinder and this bike is raced hard good maintanance is key as for honing i never do it i just spray it out with brake claner real good crc is best remember the 04s have a thin wall cylinder so if you have wear the price of a new one is worth it over replating the old one had a good sunday the kid got three holeshots four moto wins for two first over all remember the more you twist the sooner whoops are behind you

I like to take some 80 grit paper and wrap it around a Foster's "oil can" beer, then attach that to a 5000rpm grinder head and let that work away on the inside of the cylinder for a bit. Guaranteed to get everything off the cylinder walls for a fresh crosshatch to seat the rings.

That really is you in the avatar, isn't it?

HEY I FIGURED OUT HOW TO QUOTE. oops cap lock was on sorry.

I am proud of my heritige. the picture is my mom her senior year in high school.

A bead hone if any. I personally don't hone my race cyc. rebuilt my 250x in march runs good no smoke. learned this from race car. Honing takes away horse power in car, so i don't hone my race bike cyc. eather.

A bead hone if any. I personally don't hone my race cyc. rebuilt my 250x in march runs good no smoke. learned this from race car. Honing takes away horse power in car, so i don't hone my race bike cyc. eather.

:banghead::banghead:🤣🤣

Honing takes away horse power in car, so i don't hone my race bike cyc. eather.

well i hate to say you are very wrong , but you are .

i wont get into it because im so tired right now,

but ----yes you need to hone and brake the glaze on any cylinder if you want the rings to seal and perform correctly .

:banghead: