Sign in to follow this  

free mods / jetting a must?

2005 wr 250 I have done the free mods except the airbox. I love the improvement but want more low end!! I was planning the airbox and yz pipe next but I have to admit I don't really want to mess with the jetting unless I have to for performance or to keep from being to lean. Sooo,would these mods make the jetting a real need? I have the brain power but I don't want to screw my baby up and be without it while my dealer fixes my mistakes!!! I have seen other threads on jetting kits, but once again I am a little unsure of being able to get the right ones.

I don't say this lightly because the cost do do this is not cheap, but I can tell you from my experience that adding a Dr. D pipe made a huge difference to the bottom end (as well as in the mid range). Like I said, it's not cheap but I cannot say enough about how big a difference this pipe makes.

Are you running the stock WR exhaust cam? If so, it has a very mellow low to mid torque curve. Swap the the YZ cam which has a much more agressive hit. There is a big difference with the YZ cam as far as acceleration.

Yes I have the stock wr cam. If I put a yz cam in is there any other changes that have to go along with it?? Never heard of a Dr. D pipe. How not cheap are we talking? I am trying to help buy my son a new bike to race on so money is tight!

Yes I have the stock wr cam. If I put a yz cam in is there any other changes that have to go along with it?? Never heard of a Dr. D pipe. How not cheap are we talking? I am trying to help buy my son a new bike to race on so money is tight!

An aftermarket pipe is going to do absolutely NOTHING as far as improving bottom end (race pipes generally kill bottom end torque). The YZ cam is the best route, but the cam is about $140. It's pretty in depth to install, so you might want a dealer install it for you. The cheapest route would be to install a 12T countershaft sprocket, however you loose top speed, and you spend a bit more time shifting through the gears, as the final trans ratios are closer together.

Rich