Sign in to follow this  

1983 Tt6oo/yz600...con't.

We can't see them, can you make them public? It wants me to log in as you to see them now.

I'm new to photobucket I'll figure it out in a few minutes.

Cliff

Thanks for sharing, very cool project! Looks like it would be a lot of fun to ride. I love reading about project bikes, especially custom dirt bikes. I'm still dreaming up my project, but sooner or later I'm going to get one on the go.

Why did you have to flatten the top tube on your frame? Couldn't you have just mounted the tank 1/2" higher?

Well maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that all of this was custom work on the frame top tube:

DSC01184.jpg

I recall you mentioned "notching" the frame, and I thought this was the result. Is that the way the stock top tube looks? I've never owned a TT600 so I have no idea.

Ok...I wouldn't call it notching the frame. I borrowed my friends YZ426 for a style guide. I made a blueprint of all the dimensions of the 426. I needed to duplicate the dimensions on the TT600. The back bone of the 426 is way steeper than the 600. So to simulate the angle of the 426 backbone I used a sawzall and cut the top rear section of the backbone lengthwise. Once I had enough clearance near the rear shock mount I began to fill it in. I welded two lengths of flat steel down the inside of the backbone before I made the top encloser for the backbone. I made a cardboard pattern first and transfered it to a piece of steel. It took tons of welding and grinding to achieve the smooth look and with all the inside bracing I didn't lose any strength. I got a rear subframe from Doug Dubach and basiclly did the same thing. Having all the right dimensions from the 426 it was a matter of making the top mounts and cutting the lower subframe legs to fit. If you gring around the lower subframe mounts you can pull the cast ends right off/out. Cut the tubes and reinsert the ends and reweld. Once the tank and subframe were fit all the other plastic bolted right on. There were alot of hours making patterns for radiator vent mounts,rear master cylinder mounts etc. The exhaust is stock front but the rear section was cut,heated, bent,cussed at and just about everything else.

Thanks for filling me in, and again, I think your project bike is sweet.

Ok so what you did was mod the TT frame to accept YZ Plastic and subframe?

I dont remember the TT's having a vertically mounted, link operated mono, but I never really paid a lot of attention to the tt's either...

Looks good for sure...I like the color on the frame.

What does it weigh?