Sign in to follow this  

adding chain links?1?

first off, yes i am fully aware im an idiot.

Now, i just purchased a front and rear ironman sprocket. i also purchased a new chain. Well the chain was a little long so i took out a link a few links behind. After i took out the amount that i thought it should be i was on the medium to far side of adjustment. Me being the anal/perfectionist, i thought i could get one more link out of it and it should be perfect. Well, needless to say, its toooo short. I cant fit the master link together. IS it possible to add links??? or did i just throw 80 dollars out the window??? ahhhhhhh

You can add a link back in, but you need a full pin, so if you ground yours down to get it out, you'll need another one. It's not that easy to pound out the pin without grinding it, but it can be done. Then put it back together and mushroom the head of the pin again. Make sure that you don't overdo it and get a tight link in your chain.

If it's an o-ring chain, don't forget to put the o-rings back in and grease it all up inside.

I'm sure somebody is going to pipe in and say that it won't hold, but I've done this several times before and it's never been a problem. At one point, when I had less cash, my friendly dealer gave me a bunch of pieces of chain that were cut off of customer chains and I pieced them together to make myself a new chain. It worked perfectly and it was free.

just get another master link that's what I did. Once the chain gets loose you can take the 2nd master link out and you're good to go. :banghead:

just get another master link that's what I did. Once the chain gets loose you can take the 2nd master link out and you're good to go. :banghead:

THATS HOW YA DO IT OR YOU WILL BE BUYING MORE THAN A NEW CHAIN WHEN IT COME OFF AND TEARS THE HELL OUT OF THE CASE :banghead:🤣🤣

ok, so i buy another master link. No too much of a biggie. Im assuming it is ok to connect two master links together??

can i buy any master link or does it have to be the same brand (regina) as my chain?

and thanks soo much for the help!!!

I Would Get The Same Brand

If It Come Apart Your In Big Trouble So Make Sure Its Right And Thet The Link Is In The Right Direction.....

Hmm, something tells me the local dirtbike store isnt going to have a Regina master link. I only bought the regina chain because ironman reccomended it and i figured id buy it all as a package and save myself some trouble. Im beginning to realize that ordering online isnt always the best way.

Anybody know if i need to have a regina link for sure or can i use any o ring link? thanks

I did the same thing and didn't want two master links. If anyone is looking for a good deal on an DID520vm X-ring gold/black IM me. It is one link short for my 450X. I cut three links out and made it too short. It was a 120 link chain.

Hmm, something tells me the local dirtbike store isnt going to have a Regina master link. I only bought the regina chain because ironman reccomended it and i figured id buy it all as a package and save myself some trouble. Im beginning to realize that ordering online isnt always the best way.

Anybody know if i need to have a regina link for sure or can i use any o ring link? thanks

They will have one

No problem

yep, isnt that frustrating!!

but as i stated in another post, its still better to learn the hard way...but LEARN, than pay some ahole at the stealership to do it who will charge you the price of another chain anyway in labor. Now that i know my mistakes, i will definately know what to do and what not to do for the rest of my life.

Gene, so your saying if i call my local yamaha/kawi dealer and ask for a Regina master link they will have one? I can always call the race shop, but thats farther away but whatever.

also, my friend who is a car mechanic at nissan, told me he thinks he can add a link by using a vice? I told him i had a chain of four links from where i broke it off and he thinks he can use one of the links. Does this sound like a bad idea? I just wanna do whats right and most safe. Thanks

you can do that but I would not.

that chain come apart and it goes right into the front sprocket like a bullet and woill distroy your case and anything around it

and thats a lot more money than buying a new chain

Im in the same pred, right now chain on my bike is wore out and i got the ironman sprocket should be in tomorrow and got to get a new chain at the track but like i said i would not try to put one back togethr i would get another masterlink

I second this suggestion. I have run 3 master links in a row when I was trying different rear spockets while running Comp. Hill at Glamis. Never had a problem.