New bike

I'm about 5'7, 108 pounds, and I think the 150 is a good bike for me. I'm moving up from a 2000 XR80. My question is, how much maintenance does a 150 need, and would making this big jump mean me having to learn to ride all over again because of the increase in CC, size, and response?

Thanks in advance

Brennan

ull be fine. i fact with ur size i might suggest a 230. it is heaveir, but u need not worry. remember this thing is not like a 250 mx bike. the 230 (or 150) is just a step up in cc and torque from an 80. sure there are a few more changes, but the characteristics are about the same. the matenence on thes bikes is as simple as this:clean air filter, change oil. other than that ur fine! i had a 125 ttr for my 1st bike, and i thought goin from that to the 150 would be so much different. but in reallity it made me grow out of bikes to fast.

i believe for u the 230 is the way 2 go. now u might not think so now( like i did ) but if u keep goin up and ride ur bikes alot, ull look back and say that it woulda been alot easier for u too go up a bit higher in getting a new bike.

unless ur like 8 yrs old and goin from a 50cc to a 230cc bke, there is no real HUGE step up until u reach goin to ur first preformance bike (ex. 250f or 450f) then things might get over ur head.

good luck in steppin up!

I think your just tall enough for a 230.As long as you can handle a taller,heavier,more powerful bike.Like what I say, If you can't pic it up off the ground, you can't ride it.In your post it almost sounded like you think that a 150 is going to be a major power difference from a 80, It really isn't.What kind of riding do you do?If your looking for a good low end pull the 150 isn't the bike.

ya were basically tryin to tell u, ur 5'7 and 108 lbs! that taller than me! im 5'6,a nd weigh around 110 to 115, and ridin a 250r. try gettin one of those! anyways u only need to get one foot on the peg and the other on the ground in order to ride it. trust me these are not race bikes. ive don what u have. ive gone from a ttr 125, to a crf 150, to a crf 230, and i now have a 250. now those steps arent bad, but that was damn expensive. luckily i was gettin the bikes my dad was handin down to me, so it wasnt as expensive. and once u got used to the bike u could lift it no prob. i had a hard time with my 125 when i first got it! u should have seen my arms after my first ride. i used em so hard (because i had never ridden before) i swear they twitched so bad i couldnt hold my food that night! lol anyways goin with the 230 wouldnt kill u. it would be the best transition for u. of course it would be nice to know how much u ride, and where. that way we can give u a more precide answer

Your tall enough, but not strong enough, either start lifting some weights, ride with a stronger person (you should never ride alone anyway), or get the 150 and use the saved money for engine upgrades so you can have the speed.

Being able to touch the gound shouldnt be an issue with the 230. i am only 5'1 maybe 5'2 in my riding boots. Now if you cant pick it up... is only a kind of issue.. Do you plan on dropping it a lot?

The only time weight should be an issue is when loading it. I cant load my bike on my own, unless I find a big hole to park my truck in. So if you have no one to help you load, then you may have a problem. I wouldnt think the engine size would bea problem either.

I don't plan on dropping the bike at all, but I think the powerband in the 230 might through off my riding because I'm not use to it.

crap happens youll eventully drop the bike no matter how careful a rider ou are.

the 230 DOES NOT have a strong "powerband" it is fairly leisurly to ride

if you dont think you could lift the 150 or 230 up, i hate to say this..... but you migh want to start looking at a ttr125le

where do you live.. YOu can lay mine on its side and see if you can get it up.

I drop mine occasionally, and It is a difficult task to pick it up, but I manage.. and sure.. when I first got it,and dropped it like.. 8 times, in one day :banghead: the next day I had some sort parts of my body from lifting all the weight, but I can still do it..

See if you can pick something up that is comparable... like 240 lbs...not sure what is comparable thouhg..

ya lifting 240 lbs, is much different. because on a 230 ur only lifting it to the wheels and it can be different muscles, and it doesnt really work to test it that way. really though if ur 5'7 and 108 u should really be able to pick it up. if not...well...i hate to say this but really look into lifting weights or something to get ur strength up. i was about 5'5 and 110lbs when i first got the 230. sure it was EXTREMELY difficult to lift the bike in sand on the side of a dune! but i was able to do it. (with a little help from my dad the first 2 times). and in the end i got used to the weight of 240 lbs, and now im on a 250 that ways about 205, and i feel like im on a cloud when doing things. but that wouldnt have happened if i hadnt of gotten the 230. i think riding the 230 would be very good for u. u have to learn how to lift it and get better at it (like first lifting some wieghts) and then u would be very good with ur bike, and have a whole playing field open for other bikes u could get.

ps _ dont be afraid of the 230 power, sure its more than an 80, but it is bassically the same bike with more power. thats all. no crazy power band at all.

I'm about 5'7, 108 pounds, and I think the 150 is a good bike for me. I'm moving up from a 2000 XR80. My question is, how much maintenance does a 150 need, and would making this big jump mean me having to learn to ride all over again because of the increase in CC, size, and response?

Thanks in advance

Brennan

I went from a XR80 to a 230, but I was 5'11 140lbs. I'm sure you will be able to lift it, it really isn't that hard. The 230 only weighs 22 pounds more, it's not a whole lot but the power difference makes up for that. When you think lifting 240 pounds right off the ground it seems impossible but you have to remember that your just tilting it up on to the wheels. Pick the bike up, let it sit on your knees as your squatting then push it up. Your about the same size as my friend and he has no problem riding my 230.

You'll be fine with it. I went from an xr100 to the 230 and im on like 5' 5". At first i was a little worried about the weight difference because the xr100 is only like 160 or something and the 230 is like 219, but i barelyy notice the difference when pickin it up so u should be fine my man.

Really, it all comes down to money- dontcha hate that? If you'd feel more comfy on the CRF150 and have the money to move up as you get stronger/more comfortable (which could be pretty quickly) than go for it.

If you're hoping to not to have to buy another bike for awhile than the 230 is likely the best bet. The beast is heavy, but frankly, so is the CRF150 (for it's HP). I would suggest that the decision, in this case, should be based on the seat height with the weight being a secondary. If I was taller I would have gone for the CRF230, and I weigh ~112. I can haul my bike around but it ain't no fun either, in the awkward spots.

Both bikes have their pros & cons- the CRF230 is heavier from the ground but it has the E-Start which makes it easier to deal with weight-wise (even compared to the lighter CRF150) when you get in awkward stalls.

trust us dude, unless u got the dough, like lilgirl, get the 230. ull be happy once u did. thats all i can say. the desision is up to u. i (like all of us) am just tryin to help u get the bike that i think u would like best. if u REALLY feel that u cant handle the 230, than dont kill urself over it. just get the 150 then, its a great bike to. its just that most of us think the 230 would better suit u, which it probly might, but the final decision is urs, and either bike is good.

NEVER!! I'll never switch to a 2-stroke!!.................unless I want to race and spend all my money re-building the engine over and over.

OMG!!!

Bite my winky off why don't ya. :banghead:

&%$#@! is with everyone thinking you have to re-build the engine over and over again. If you ride like a puss (which I can tell you do) then you almost never have to rebuild the top end. Also, if your into trails I recomend a KX100

Besides a 230 would be too weak for you. I'm 5'8 140 pounds and a 125 is just right for me

theres nothing wrong with a 230! sure kx's are great but i bet you anything that with just my 150 i could beat a 100 or 85 in the dunes no sweat. thats just cuz its a 4 stroke and u got the torque there unlike the 85's and 100's. if you ride dunes dont get a 2 smoker, if you ride trails, dont get a 2 smoker, if u ride track, GET A 2 SMOKER. the small bore 2 strokes are just too difficult and time consuming for dunes and trails, but on track they rule.