Sign in to follow this  

spark plug

does your spark plug "lie" about your jetting through the color of it or is it normally correct?

with modern fuels you cant jet by plug color.they always "look" lean unless you have the jetting way over rich.

Its a pain to do it but I usually run half and half race gas if I really have a jetting problem

But like Eddie said you won't get any color that that will help you figure your jetting out

especially if your starting from scratch with a new carburetor with pump gas......

so pretty much just disregard the color and shoot from the hip right?

Im sure Eddie will tell you the same thing but I usually jet with a colder plug than the one I use normally......Eddie is the Pro so I kinda feel like he should answer your question..

There are a ton of short cuts that will help you jet for your needs....

basically as far as jetting the main jet goes if its lean enough to hurt the bike will run noticeably bad.

in order to jet (with out a wide band air fuel meter) you will need to make changes in order to get a feel for what each does.

is your bike having a particular issue?

I raced this past sunday and my bike would pop on deceleration sometimes the temp was high 80s and humid about 300 ft elevation in southeast missouri..ive heard honda bikes are lean from the factory and dont really know what im doing in the jetting area..just trying to figure it all out...the temp is dropping into the 60s and 70s now..the jetting is stock...stock pipe silencer twin air filter thats it no air box mods. just need some advice for now and the future..thanks hope im not to confusing