Sign in to follow this  

Front tire drift.

I have a 2003 XR 250 with stock tires.We ride mostly single track stuff but often have to run the forest service roads in between trails which is fairly hard packed dirt and my bikes front tire tends to drift around occasionaly which is kind of spooky.This can happen at a steady speed on a sraight run.Should I run lower air pressure or is it a suspension issue or are my stock tires just crap?

Get new tires to start with. I'm running a Dunlop 756 110/100 rear and its the best tire I've had so far. It grabs excellent and is wearing surprisingly well, it visibly wears but still tracts great. I have a maxxis IT on the front but think I'll try a 756 next time. Also, I run 13 psi front and back in normal conditions.

I've tried a couple of different tires and I think it is just the way these bikes run. Mines the 400 but the only thing that I find works for sure is to ride up front when cornering under speed (sit up on the gas tank).

PS This will allow you to gas it and break the rear tire loose (un weighted rear) for a power slide as an added boost to turning. Be ready to use your feet.

Put an S12 on the front and your problem will be gone.

Put an S12 on the front and your problem will be gone.

I prefer the m-12 myself (this used to be the tread pattern used for the s-12). M-12 front and S-12 rear. Ahhhh... :banghead:

jeff

I prefer the m-12 myself (this used to be the tread pattern used for the s-12). M-12 front and S-12 rear. Ahhhh... :banghead:

jeff

My last front tire was an M12. It's sitting on a shelf in my storage shed and you can have it if you're ever up this direction. I absolutely loved it until I had put quite a few hours on it. It seemed at first that I was just not used to the tires characteristics, but the more I rode on it, the more I realized it was just plain unpredictable. Worked better than an S12 in straight line braking. Wears much better than the S12 (I ran it about as long as I run an S12 and it is still in very usable condition.) Holds better than an S12 right up to the point it lets go and washes your front end out or grabs again (stick/slip/grab). It does not hold as well as an S12 when laying the bike down in corners. It doesn't grab the sides of ruts anywhere close to as good as an S12, and my final opinion of the M12 is that it is the most unpredictable tire I have ever run on the front of any motorcyle. The worst scenario is coming into a section of slightly rutted trail in 3rd or 4th gear. The tire all of a sudden just lets go when riding along the side of a rut (4" deep ruts?) and the front of the bike washes. I've never had any other tire act that way, and since going back to the S12 I've come to the conclusion that it definitely was the tire. It's like there is a spot on the tire where it goes from the best biting tire I've ever used to the worst biting tire I've ever used. I consider it a dangerous tire.

My maxxis IT front is the same way Tubo. But the maxxis will grab again just before the front end washes out. But not before you have to change your underwear.

I have run both tires and ride fairly agressively. 40 class expert. My experiences are different from yours. To me, they are similar in the slime but the m-12 hooks up better on hardpack clay whereas the S-12 was a tad "skatey". But, to tell the truth haven't ridden enough the last few years to be real descriminating about it...

Just curious...

What soil type?

What tire pressure?

jeff

I have run both tires and ride fairly agressively. 40 class expert. My experiences are different from yours. To me, they are similar in the slime but the m-12 hooks up better on hardpack clay whereas the S-12 was a tad "skatey". But, to tell the truth haven't ridden enough the last few years to be real descriminating about it...

Just curious...

What soil type?

What tire pressure?

jeff

Come on up and ride and I'll show you the exact soil type. I'd love to look over your front suspension setup in person. It's anything from soft loamy ground under the trees to hardpack clay. We have very little rocky soil but some.

I run 12-13psi in the front most of the time, but have ridden a lot anywhere between 10 and 14psi.

I looked at a pic of the S-12 and see that they have changed the tread pattern since I ran them. They have more knob on the side now. I can see where it would hook up better on a corner or in a rut...

The bike is still up at Les' -> we need to do some jetting on my "secret carb" and a custom spring is being fab'ed for the rear (I am fat! - not to be confused with phat!).

Maybe I'll stop by for a day of riding on my way back from his place when I pick it up. I am in portland and he is in bremerton area....

BTW, I am interested in riding your bike too - curious what the cam gives up down low and what you gain up top.

jeff

I looked at a pic of the S-12 and see that they have changed the tread pattern since I ran them. They have more knob on the side now. I can see where it would hook up better on a corner or in a rut...

The bike is still up at Les' -> we need to do some jetting on my "secret carb" and a custom spring is being fab'ed for the rear (I am fat! - not to be confused with phat!).

Maybe I'll stop by for a day of riding on my way back from his place when I pick it up. I am in portland and he is in bremerton area....

BTW, I am interested in riding your bike too - curious what the cam gives up down low and what you gain up top.

jeff

You are welcome to ride it anytime.