Sign in to follow this  

China Hat vs. Hoodoo: Which do you like best?

Have a chance to ride Hoodoo up on Santiam pass in a couple of weeks. Never been there but ridden China Hat/EFR area quite a few times. How does Hoodoo compare as far as marked trails, condition of trails, facilities, etc. Great to know before I head out there. Thanks.

I cannot tell you but I sure would like to know. I've only driven past Hoodoo and it looks really cool :banghead:

Please post a report!

Hoodoo is a day ride area for me. Closer than EFR if your coming from the west. Trails are not marked as well as EFR, at least they were'nt the last time I rode there 4th of July weekend. I think the camping choices are better at EFR if your staying a day or two. As you know, you can ride a couple or more days at EFR and not ride the same trail very often. Don't think you can do that at Hoodoo. Not bashing Hoodoo, just not as many trails as EFR. Lots of whoops at Hoodoo. It's all good though :banghead: !

Mostly sled / jeep trails at Hoodoo. You can ride to the top of the ski run which is pretty cool, but the rest is ah, so so.

If you only have a day, Hoodoo is close.

If you can spend a little more time and like to cover more ground, China Hat is worth the extra drive.

There was a thread a while back with some pictures. The keywords big lake, Hoodoo or Santiam pass might find it.

- Ryan

Really no comparison here, although I enjoy both places. Sadly though, the ATV's have really screwed up Big Lake over the past couple of years. There are some great trails however, alot of them are hidden, by design. :banghead: But, like everyone says, Big Lake is great for close weekend rides. EFR simply offers more trails, better trails & more variety.

Kinda what I thought. Now with gas prices what they are ($120 to fill my rig : :banghead: ) I like to get somewhere and spend at minimum of 3-5 days of riding to make it worthwhile to load, set up, and teardown. My friend who invited me has only ridden Hoodoo. I think China Hat is one of my 2 favorite areas to ride; the other being Grassy Flatt in the Nestuca access area towards the coast. Like having your own private riding area without hardly anybody around. I still like "Clowns Camp" ) AKA Brown's but try to avoid the big weekends with all the knuckleheads who ride 2x a year and think they're Bubba & Ricky!!!

I went by HooDoo Monday night around 10:00 PM, there was a considerable amount of snow on the ground. I was headed back from Fremont National Forest, out of La Pine. Not really all that far from EFR. The weather was hellacious the 4 days I was there. Wind, rain, freezing rain, snow, frozen ground etc..

Do you think there'd be that much snow at EFR? Big lake and EFR staging areas are abou the same elevation: 4500 or so.

Naa it'll be perfect, wish I was going. It was getting towards 60 in the middle of the day.