Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust prob. Now what?

Well, Chewy bought used bike. Complete knowledge some things would need fixing, replacing sooner or later. Mostly things have gone very well.

But alas, a bump in the road. Recently re-packed silencer. All good. Decide that should put correct bolts in silencer pipe as the ones it came with were obviously jury rig attempt. Buy right bolts, disasemble a second time only uh oh, now honeycomb type part of silencer (inside part) now falls off in middle. OK it's used, must have corroded, no big, will buy new silencer. Place order for FMF shorty with great hopes of it arrivng on Friday. (so can ride on Sat). Go to remove silencer pipe. WOn't come out. No amount of pulling and twisting will budge it. Can't heat it up while on bike for worry of melting something else (airbox too close). So remove whole exahust. Fatty pipe, and silencer pipe. Use chemical that is supposed to "unstick stuck parts" Uh uh.. Try torch. Uh uh. Twisting, pulling, nothing will get that :banghead::banghead: thing to come apart! I do not want to have to replace the whole freakin thing🤣 What can I do to get the little pipe out of the big pipe?

Yes, I already replaced powerbands last week. Pls let's not go there. I see a very boring weekend ahead🤣

The silencer is stuck too the pipe correct?? Try heat and take an old candle and try too work it between the cracks/junction.. Hope this helps,

RIck

Since you're tossing out the silencer, just cut the silencer off a little behind the pipe/silencer junction. Then take a grinder and make make a cut in the remaining part of the silencer so you can just "peel" it off. It may be difficult if the previous owner used something like JB Weld to hold it together.

Cheers,

Mac

Mac: The silencer pipe is the skinnier and goes into the big pipe we want to keep. Tried heat and penetrating catalyst and still can't get that stupid thing apart!

Gene: Youd have to see the other post re: leaving gas on to get the powerband joke.

Mac: The silencer pipe is the skinnier and goes into the big pipe we want to keep. Tried heat and penetrating catalyst and still can't get that stupid thing apart!

Gene: Youd have to see the other post re: leaving gas on to get the powerband joke.

i SAW IT OR ONE LIKE IT

TOO FUNNY

POWER BANDS WHAT A THINKER :banghead:

LOL

I was afraid of that. How far does the silencer protrude into the header pipe? If it's only a little way, you could try to pry up an edge on it at the cut, and then take a chisel to try to split it. When you split that piece, pry up a little more and repeat. Once you have it split full length, you should be able to grab one of the edges and pull/twist/pull/twist until it comes out. You will have to work slowly and be very careful that you don't hurt the header pipe or you'll definitely have a leak when you put the new silencer on.

Have you contacted the previous owner to see if they put something in there like JB Weld or another sealant?

Cheers,

Mac