Sign in to follow this  

Stepping down from a bike big to a CRF 150...I'm sort of embarrassed...

...not to have a big bike, just having this little toy. I have a CRF450, and I'm sick of the money it takes to maintain. And I'd like to do all the suspension conversions, and mods on a CRF.

The funny thing is, on my tight and very busy SX track, I am faster on my friend's stock CRF150 than on my 450. We have three 20-35 ft doubles, and the forks bottom, but it's not too harsh. Also, my brother is very fast on them.

But has anybody else done this? Stepping down from an MX bike to a mini? Just wondering.

Well...in a word yes. I stepped down to a 150 to race mini supermoto/asphalt. I don't really think in the end it will be much of a $$$ savings though. People who tend to do this get "THE DISEASE". "The Disease" requires you to see just how good it can handle and just how much hp and torque you can make.

The one thing for sure is that when you make changes on these little bikes it is very noticeable. A 1/2 hp is a noticeable change, whereas on a bigger bike that wouldn't be noticeable. That is the thing that is kind of addictive....you notice the work put into these bikes and then you put more work into them.

The only real difference in my mind is the simplicity of the motors and that the starting cost is much less..so you feel better about it. If you have never ridden these bikes then you really don't have any idea about just how much fun they are...even though they may not be the studly bikes that "real men" ride.

I've ridden a friends CRF150, and I was beating my buddies on big bikes on my track within 20 minutes. But I'd like to also Ice race, do dirt track, and try some supermoto, and all those would be cheaper on a 150. Smaller tires and rims means cheaper tires and rims.

I know I will catch that itch. But instead of paying hundreds to fix my bike and keep it working, I'll be spending money on making the bike hadle better and move faster. My brother can also afford one, so we can race! And all he needs is a stocker. He is lighter and shorter! :banghead:

I have a friend that has a CRF450 & he's an awesome rider, but finds it just wears him out. He ends up riding his wifes CRF150 for hours & loves it. He has his own track & Bobcat, lucky guy!

His plan now is to dump the CRF450 (he's done the valves 3 times but now has the stainless intakes) & get either a 200 or 250 2 stroke with Rekluse clutch. This will give him something cheap to maintain, light weight, good in the tight stuff & enough power for the dunes. That's what he's thinking anyway. But for now he rides the hell out of the 150.

I also know a guy at work that races the 150 & it's his only bike. I don't think he's lost yet.

You're not alone.

:banghead:

I used to race my '84 RM500. But I had an accident which caused me to lose a little height. Now I race a JR50. I'm actually faster and it's easier to crank too. :banghead:

I used to race my '84 RM500. But I had an accident which caused me to lose a little height. Now I race a JR50. I'm actually faster and it's easier to crank too. :banghead:

Really? How about armpump? More or less? :banghead:

A little bike alows youe to refine your skills. Call it practice for your big bike, no need to be ashamed and you'll have fun.

j.

Really? How about armpump? More or less? :banghead:

Believe it or not I have MORE armpump now due to my height loss.

I can't get on the JR50 the normal way, you know just walk up and swing your leg over?

Instead, I have to jump up and catch the handlebar with both hands (throttle side) and do a pullup while quickly swinging my legs over the seat.

But my lats and biceps are getting nice definition now. :banghead:

i ride a 230 at the track with all the other 250fs around me. im not too embarrased because i can do most of the jumps that they do

I am kind of doing the same thing real soon, i ride a crf450 and just bought my wife a crf230, man i love her bike!!

...not to have a big bike, just having this little toy. I have a CRF450, and I'm sick of the money it takes to maintain. And I'd like to do all the suspension conversions, and mods on a CRF.

The funny thing is, on my tight and very busy SX track, I am faster on my friend's stock CRF150 than on my 450. We have three 20-35 ft doubles, and the forks bottom, but it's not too harsh. Also, my brother is very fast on them.

But has anybody else done this? Stepping down from an MX bike to a mini? Just wondering.

how come everyone complains about jumping a 150 i jump 70' on my stock 150 it's scary as hell :banghead: but i got guts enough to do it

I've been reading these forums for quite a while, and even though the CRF-F's are NOT race bikes, they are still very CAPABLE and FUN dirt bikes.

Amazing too is how many folks DO race their CRF-F's!!

The truth is, most people who purchase competition bikes will NEVER be able to ride the bike any where near the bikes capability. Most also will NEVER race the bike in competition. Too many young riders have the mindset that the BIKE will MAKE them a better rider.

What ultimately happens is that most still ride at the same speed, and become nervous at the handling and power characteristics of the competition bike. Nervous enough that the bikes limits are never explored, and nervous enough that their skills are slow to develop.

Unfortunately, the race bike lends itself to more and harder crashes as well. This alone attributes many to give up a hobby/sport that MAY have been a life long source of enjoyment due to injuries sustained by riding a bike way out of their league.

I will repeat what I have said before. There is too much ego that goes into dirt bike purchases. Far to many people buy competition bikes that are too high of performance for their end needs and skills. Most come to realize that they really just want to have FUN riding, and NEVER plan to go to the race track. Hi speed and huge jumps are never in the equation. The need for suspension to clear the 120ft triple and having mega HP isn't necessary to HAVE FUN.

Even the pros are telling it like it is. Most all of them have "play" bikes.

Are you a "Racer" or "Player" ?? That is the question you should ask yourself. Try to get a bike that will fill your "Needs", and not so much to fill your ego. Is a competition bike really needed if you are not going to compete?

I know this is difficult for many of the younger folk to grasp. Most feel they NEED to have the race bike.

It's funny how the older you get, the smaller your ego becomes!

Mike

:banghead:🤣🤣

Well put coeshow. :banghead: I've been away from this forum for a while, taking online classes that use up most of my free time. However, I'm now on vacation and this post hits the spot.

I got my used '04 CRF230 and I know I won't ride to its full potential. It doesn't bother me to be "smoked" by anyone...I'm having fun and living to ride another day. 🤣

Christ... what a bunch a wussies...

Maybe you should hold-off until next years "Britney Spears Special" with flaming pink BNG's!!!

🤣:banghead::banghead:🤣🤣

I'm thinking of doing the same. I only do trail riding, and I'm thinking of going from my DRZ400S to a CRF230. I told my friend this and he's already bugging me about it. Seems like everyone has the mind set that more power is better. I don't mind having the extra power, but I'd much rather have a light weight bike that's easy to maneuver. I was even considering the CRF150 for awhile, but that is probably too small for me.

jha07,

I used to have a DRZ400 too! I find that my CRF230 is much better suited to the type of riding I do. The Suzuki was an excellent and reliable bike. My dislikes about the Suzuki were it was just too tall in the saddle, hard to turn when going slow and tiring before a day on the single track or slow and technical trails.

Another dislike was that the DRZ had a VERY tall low gear. Even after installing a 13 tooth counter sprocket I was still wishing it had a lower cog for first.

The 230's low gear is like a granny gear. I don't need it very often, but when I do it sure comes in handy! The transmission gear selection and ratios on the CRF230 are one of the bikes BEST attributes.

Thanks for the comparison. The points you mentioned are basically the reasons I want to get a 230. The DRZ is a great dualsport, but for tight single track, it is very heavy and tiring. I think the 230 will be perfect for my kind of riding.

I’m in the process of getting off my CR250 onto a CRF230.

While there is nothing wrong with my CR I do spend my time chasing my kids on a JR50 and a CF70. It’s brutal running that bike under 5mph all day!

It’s also cost. I bought a 06 Crf230 and an 06 CR80 for less than the 450X that I wanted.

coeshow, I totally agree. We have this small track at the local pit, it's really tight, a few small whoops and all berms, I do it in 2nd, 3rd on my 230 with stock gearing. I race my friend on it, he has an 1986 XR100 and he keeps up to me very well. I still beat him because my bike has about 10 more horsepower, he's not a pro rider or anything, but it's awesome how that little bike can keep up.

I guess it's because I'm always accelerating so quickly and stopping before every berm then accelerating again and he is just going at a consistant speed.

Just got rid of an sv 650, got a 150. Love the new bike. The sv had a bad history, didn't enjoy it anymore. Got several mods to do to the 150 (triple clamp, springs front and rear, 3x3, jets, pipe, and later on dual sport conversion and supermoto rims and tires (going to deals gap after the last two are done.))