04 RMZ250 Decel Popping & Valves

Fellow riders,

My first post on the site....

I am new to dirt bikes, but did a lot of extreme mountain biking for a number of years. I had a 05 Yamaha TTr-230 for about 3 months and outgrew it in a hurry. I just purchased a brand spankin new 04 RMZ250. It was still in the crate from the factory, and cost me $4800 canadian. 05/06 are $7500+ up here, so I thought it was a good buy.

Two questions:

The bike pops and farts during deceleration. The dealer service person said they are like this. The forum says that it is a fuel problem that may be fixed by simply turning a mixture screw. (to lean) Is this an easy fix, and what should I ask for.

Question 2 is about the valves. I see that the manual states to adjust every 6 races. I don't race... I ride trails, and the odd mx track for practice in the family class. Based on my riding, how would you suggest I watch this known problem area of this engine.

Thanks DD

The fuel screw is at the bottom of the carb, just get a small flat head (on my yami atleast) and turn it out until the popping just stops. As for the valves, I'd probably check them about every 2-3 races or rides and adjust as needed.

This is completely normal for the 04's. The stock exhaust really stifles the bike. There are a couple of things you can do. Fuel mixture adjustment, aftermarket pipe and canister ($250 Motosport Outlet). However the most easy fix is learn the bike. These bikes have a ton of engine braking, you do not have to down shift as much or like other bikes. Simply learn the shift patterens and the popping will decrease, however as with most 4-strokes it will never completely go away. As far as the valves, get a hour meter. If you are not racing check the valves about every 15-20 hours (very simple process).

But more importantly if you are trail riding, you need to be more concerned about overheating. These bikes grave air running through them. The Rads on the 04 are too small. Run Engine Ice ($12.00 1/2 gallon), Two2Cool ($12.00 treat 5 gallons) in the oil and put a Boyseen/Pro Circuit water pump / impeller ($175.00), these are a must! If you can afford it, run Fluydine Oversized rads ($285.00). Install heat strips to monitor the heat. DO NOT LET THIS BIKE IDLE for long periods of time. Stay off the rev limiter. The above mods are a bit expensive, however the cost of these vs. blowing your motor is minimal.

I love my 04' would not trade it for the world, however unfortunately you bought a race bike.... these are not the best trail riding machines. Keep an eye on the hour meter and heat strips. The 04's have a nasty reputation for valve and over heating problems, however the above will cure all but the rider error matters. Good luck, I am sure you will love this scooter! :banghead:

If you can afford it, run Fluydine Oversized rads ($285.00).[/b] Install heat strips to monitor the heat.

Hey Cyclepop . . . can you tell me where I can find the Fluidyne's and heat strips? The Fluidyne website shows:

KX250F pr. 2004 FPS11-250KS $449.95

Where can they be had for $285?

Thanks

Hey Cyclepop . . . can you tell me where I can find the Fluidyne's and heat strips? The Fluidyne website shows:

KX250F pr. 2004 FPS11-250KS $449.95

Where can they be had for $285?

Thanks

My bad should have been $385.00 :banghead: , I got them through Cycle Gear, I get Rider Support so I may have got somewhat of a break??? I also got the heat strips there as well....

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the mods suggested. The fluids and heat strips are quick and easy. The hardware costs, and may have to wait a while. I like the idea of a hour meter and will look for a samll unit to install.

How much does climate temp effect the cooling issue. I noticed that most of the responders are in much warmer climates than me on the Canadian cooler wet west coast.

I know this bike is not the best for trails, but I sure love the way it feels off the bups and jumps, and love how it handles the local MX track during the beginer runs.

Can't believe I waited this long to start riding with a motor.

DD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...