Sign in to follow this  

Kelstr & other tuners.......

Anyone had a chance to see inside the new '06 WR KYB suspension yet? Very interesting.......

The last few months I have been personally testing with smaller transitions (pivots) and less stages in my valve stacks. I have always thought that it was difficult to actually feel the different stages in valve stacks as I figure the whole stack moves as 1 anyways.

Now KYB comes out with a interesting idea in this shock as it comes with softer valving and NO transitions (pivots) in either the comp. or reb. stacks.... :banghead:

The base valve assy in the fork is all new too as the comp. valve stack is very stiff (takes 12mm ID shims) and spring loaded. I'm trying to figure out why they went to an all new design instead of just putting the TC's on them.

doc

...just putting the TC's on them.

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but what do you mean by TC?

Hey Doc how is it going ?

boy i did not know they went goofy on their 06 kyb stuff for the wr,

the wr bikes did not sell at all over here , i don't think i had but two wr guys in the shop ever, and know those guys are on the x .

most of the guys over here were on the pumpkin stuff,200,300, 450,525 exc bikes,

and now thank god those guys are all on r's and x's and would not ever consider a pumpkin again :banghead:

man it sounds kinda cool what they are trying,

as much as a hate the feel of the heavy wr stuff, i guess I'm going to have to get one and beat it up stock and see what the action is like :banghead:

doc did you get to feel the thing stock ?---i am real curious now .

Hey Doc how is it going ?

doc did you get to feel the thing stock ?---i am real curious now .

Busier than ever here, how about you?

I didn't get to ride this WR as my customer just dropped it off for some work. Just by pushing on it and measureing his sag and so forth the suspension didn't feel to bad actually. Especially the shock.

He had some issues with the forks not wanting to absorb right and pushing in the corners so I did some experimenting with the "strange" basevalve and played with the mid-valve some. They did feel pretty good as I pushed on them before I pulled the shock off.

Haven't decided what changes I'm going to do in the shock yet but getting ready to build it here soon and have some ideas to try.

My customer knows this is a new design so we may have to try a cpl different set-ups till we find the right balance.

doc

Just got this bike back together and waiting for the customer to show up so I can finish the set-up. Initial feeling tho is pretty sweet. Its amazing how smooth the shock feels with a single stage valve stack. I redid it with a different configuration but still single stage and really like the feel.

One word of CAUTION tho........In the forks the rebound tap uses a 6mm post instead of 8mm and not many threads after the nut. Be VERY carefull when grinding the nut off so as tho you don't go very far or there won't be any threads left to hold the nut.

I will really be looking forward to some input from the rider on how the changes I made feel.

doc

Just got this bike back together and waiting for the customer to show up so I can finish the set-up. Initial feeling tho is pretty sweet. Its amazing how smooth the shock feels with a single stage valve stack. I redid it with a different configuration but still single stage and really like the feel.

One word of CAUTION tho........In the forks the rebound tap uses a 6mm post instead of 8mm and not many threads after the nut. Be VERY carefull when grinding the nut off so as tho you don't go very far or there won't be any threads left to hold the nut.

I will really be looking forward to some input from the rider on how the changes I made feel.

doc

boy that sounds very interesting, i wish i was there with you so we could go and put her through some mean nasty single track at speed and ck her out🤣

i have been mountain biking alot on some of the same trails we used to single track on ( and now we can't🤣🤣:banghead: )

so i work out with the bicycle insteed of the bike ( tree huggers are trying to even kill the bicycle :busted::banghead: )--- but its still way cool,

there are some really fast down hill sections that are real tough

i trashed my favorite bicycle, so now i am on the old ladys JOSHUA 3 :busted:

but its funny how fun the same stuff is even when you have to pedal :busted:

it might take me some time to get a hold of a 06 wr , but i will

and i can't wait to look at the set up :busted:

We've been building single stage for 3 years.

Don't let it be so suprising to you, the riding results equal the dyno testing. Actually, when you transition with a .1mm shim, the results are almost undetectable. Everybody expects this huge change from the high speed and low speed part of the stack, it just isnt so.

With the rebound being a bi-directional bleed, I would bet that you wouldnt be able to tell the difference if a 28.1 transition was in there or not.

Take care, John

Don't let it be so suprising to you, the riding results equal the dyno testing.

Take care, John

Not really so surprised as excited, since this is the direction and way of thinking that I have been going for quite awhile now. Guess my hunches have been on the right track... :banghead::banghead:

doc

We've been building single stage for 3 years.

Don't let it be so suprising to you, the riding results equal the dyno testing. Actually, when you transition with a .1mm shim, the results are almost undetectable. Everybody expects this huge change from the high speed and low speed part of the stack, it just isnt so.

With the rebound being a bi-directional bleed, I would bet that you wouldnt be able to tell the difference if a 28.1 transition was in there or not.

Take care, John

hi john , how are you doing ?

and i see what you are saying about the crosses , ( i also kinda just feel that the stack moves as one stage anyway )

and most guys have Benn doing single stacks for along time also ,

i started playing with them in 1992 on the fork, and experimenting with the single stage on the shock in 98 and the mx stuff was good , but the single track guys generally prefered the two stage stuff in the shock and fork :banghead: ,

but i just find it odd that yamaha would do some changing and re-vamping on that old fork design 🤣 ----oh well ( i guess i can see it for the wr thing, i still don't think they sell near the numbers they need to of these :banghead: )-----i mean in az you just don't see hardly any of these at all ------but I'm sure else where they sell the hell out of them 🤣

Kelly,

Doing fine over here, just working on sorting out the 06 brands. The KTM is uh, interesting as usual!

I would have liked to seen yamaha stay with the 32mm cartridge for the WR in '05

Doc,

Good point

We cut more threads, launch the stock nut and replace with a nylon locking unit, way better. The 05 KX 250 twin chambers were guilty of this also.

John

One way to help this problem with so few threads on the nut, is to use a drill bit to remove the peens rather than a grinder, this allows the top thread to still function.I think its a 8mm drill bit i use.I tedn to use drill bits on the peens on shocks as well(apart from showas LOL)