Deal on a DR650?

I've been looking for a good dual sport. I've found one. It's a 1996 DR650 running $2500. Milage is extremely low. My question is "Is the price on this bike right?". Not only that, but the low milage (if true) may indicate that the bike has sat in storage for years. This has me concerned about dry rot on the rubber as well as potential internal engine issues. Bike's pretty much what I'm looking for, I'm just trying to get a feel on if it is a fair deal or not.

Jay

Larz,

I got a 2001 DR650 for $2700 with 1800 miles 3 weeks ago, I had to wait about a month and half for the right deal to come along. If you can wait, for the right deal to come along it will, we are going into the winter months. If it has low mileage and has been well kept that goes along way. The Kelly Blue Book is $1375 trade in, and $2060 retail, which I check before buying a vehicle.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.tp?kbb;;MD013;&21157;rc&&zrc;Motorcycles

But if you get a DR650, you will have a blast on it. No doubt in my mind.

~Steve

I got a 2001 DR650 for $2700 with 1800 miles 3 weeks ago, I had to wait about a month and half for the right deal to come along. If you can wait, for the right deal to come along it will, we are going into the winter months. If it has low mileage and has been well kept that goes along way. The Kelly Blue Book is $1375 trade in, and $2060 retail, which I check before buying a vehicle.

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/ke.kb.tp?kbb;;MD013;&21157;rc&&zrc;Motorcycles

But if you get a DR650, you will have a blast on it. No doubt in my mind.

~Steve

Already did the KBB thing and found the same info. Of course, there's the KBB prices and what people sell them for and get for them in the real world. I'm asking to see if this price is in the "real world" or the "Pie in the sky" :banghead:. If it comes down to getting a better deal I can definitely wait. This particular bike is very low milage, but for a 1996, that may mean it's been garaged a long time with no running or care. And I'd MUCH rather have a 2001 instead of a 1996 for the same amount of money! :banghead:

Of course, if the person hasn't kept the tags/registration up, then this all is for naught.

Thanks again for the info!

Jay

you're going to have to drain and change fluids and pull and clean carb on any thing thats been sitting for a while.kinda takes the fun out of the purchase. some times milage is a good thing as long as its in reason. Jesse at Kientech pulled apart a 2000 Dr650 engine with 50,000 miles on it with little or no wear. might think about something thats being used on a regular basis or at least once a month.

You can do better than $2500. I would not go over $2000 on it if it is cherry.

Well, that may be the plan now. Two phonecalls and no answer. That's so stupid. Put something up for sale and then don't answer the phone. Well, time is on my side. As winter approaches the deals will most likely only get better.

Jay

where are you finding these deals.... everything around Houston is $2500 plus. for a 96-97 at that. please let me know I've been looking for the right one for a long time. I'm about to buy my friends f2 soon if I can't find one....