Sign in to follow this  

Looking at a 06 450exc what are your thoughts

I am stuck on this bike or the WR450. I went down to the dealer again tonight and he went over the pros and cons of each. Not many cons on the KTM. He did tell me that you have to rejet it after brake in, but other then that its a great bike.

It seems a lot more comfortable then the WR. But what sucks is the overall price. ITs about 500 more. I dont know if i can swing it. I am already putting a lot out there.

Also what I liked about the KTM was that I could dual sport it. I live in Washington and we have some stupid ass rules about dual sport conversions.

Any thoughts or inputs? what have your maintenance been like? Any major head aches?

Both reliable and fun bikes, the KTM feels lighter, even more so than the 7 or so lbs. that the scale indicates. I wouldn't go out riding until you get the jetting sorted, the only thing I did was to swap the stock carb needle out with an OCEMN needle, which has a narrower taper, ask your dealer, he should have this part in stock. I had to back the fuel screw out a little as well; never changed the pilot or the main jet and never had a problem with overheating or popping on decel.

Just change the oil and adjust the valves and you will get a lot of miles out of an RFS motor. The valve adjustment is straightforward and simple after you get it down and no shims to deal with either.

I dont care about the difference in money, I will buy it in oregon and get it tax free anyway.

I am hearing all about maintenance night mares with the WR and havent heard any on the KTM.

One thing the WR has that the KTM doesnt is that the wr is green stickered for california. That blows to me. Why would I want all there emission shit on my bike. I will never ride it there.

The KTM is Kalifornia green sticker legal, too. Only KTM does it with too-lean jetting. Once it's dialed in, though, it's great.

Don't really know what you mean about maintenance nightmares with the WR, though. They're bulletproof.

Just curious... why are you considering the EXC over/ instead of the XC?

What are the differences between them? I guess cause that is all the dealer showed me.

Also I look at the WR and see what my friend has had to do with maintenance. Just doing the valves seems like a nightmare. I like the KTM way of doing it. Its like my DR. Straight forward and easy. No Shims.

The only thing going against me is my wife. She think I would look stupid with an orange bike. LOL. She loves blue.

The XC has a close ratio tranny - vs the EXC has a wide ratio.

The XC has no spark arrester and no kick stand or lights - it also has stiffer suspension.

Both bike will last several years with out major motor prob. - I would go with the bike that fits you best. The only thing that the WRs have going against them is that they have always felt more top heavy then the KTMs.

dp

I had an 03 WR450 and now have an 04 450 EXC. To me they are both super great bikes, but ride very differently. For you, you should choose the one that best fits your riding style. If you any questions on pros or cons, just ask, we will try to help. I changed my plastic to all black with a clear IMS tank. Looks great.

Happy Trails

My riding stile is this, I am a very fast trail rider that loves low end torque.

My DR is so nice because one thing it will do is lug down to almost nothing in thight trails with lost of turns. I never even have to touch the clutch. I know just how far I can push it before it dies. So I love it. But its worn out.

Time to step up to something new.

I ride the occasional enduro and most consider me an A rider.

I dont really know how else to describe how i ride.

Also I am 6'1" and 250 pounds. SO around 265 with gear. But even that is changing. I am on a strict diet and loosing weight fast. I will be back to 200 by next summer.

I think you would be very happy with a 450-EXC. You are the same Height and Weight as me and also enjoy the same riding style. To accommodate my size and riding style, I have modified my 450's original set-up with heavier springs, 13/52 sprockets, JD Jetting Kit and a CRD exhaust. I can go faster and longer on the EXC-450 than I could on my WR-450.

Happy Trails

I have been told that by a lot. All my friends are mad about it. They all ride blue. I guess I have always liked to stand out.

I went through all the pro and cons of each bike before buying. They both had advantages and disadvantages. What swayed me to choose the KTM over the WR was just sitting on it and pulling the clutch.

05 KTM 450exc

My wife was mad to when I sold my yz426 and bought a 05 525 exc. She liked the blue better but I think the KTM looks sweet. The 525 weighs the same as the 450 and is better for DS. I love my 525. It handles great, Feels lighter than the yzf (it was a 2000) and has gobs of torque but is very controlable. I ride mostly tight single tracks at a moderate to fast pace. I considered the WR also and think its a great bike but I think I'm a KTM guy for good now.

I guess I might be a bit late with the answer, but I have my WR450F now, actually I had all, 03, 04 and 05 models... What I can say, they are super bikes if you're ready to invest (I put around 2,4K for all the upgrades on my last one and it rocks), but then, if you ride really strong and put miles, the bike falls apart. Here is the list of problems with my WR with "major power increase" mods:

- 4th gear shreded (two bikes had that problem) :banghead:

- engine bearings fail (two bikes) (water got inside for short time, when crossing the stream, bike originally not desined for deep water, need to re route the lines) :banghead:

- overheat (going slow through the mud) with all the consequences :lol:

And many more little things here and there. And I should say, I take a good care and spend money, it's just not desiged for everyday, long, aggressive riding. To be fair to blue, we do ride through the very difficult terrain and we do put miles.. deep sand, sticky deep mud, water streams.. they do their job too. :lol:

Well, I ordered the new 06 450 exc now, coming in December. I've heard a lot of good things about KTM's but only rode ones.. cannot really tell. will see what difference it makes. take care :lol:

I have a dual sported 525 EXC and live in Washington. All I can say is, if you think you EVER might want to (legally) ride down a public street, buy the KTM. However, you will have to register it within 30 days of buying to have a painless, worry-free process. The best thing is to get the dealer to do the paperwork and then plate the bike. If you never go on roads, you don't even have to worry about the street legal stuff like mirrors, horn and brake light switch.

Also, you won't have to buy an ORV sticker every year - a plated bike (with a current tab) can ride in Washington ORV areas without a sticker.

Here's my bike:

https://home.comcast.net/~525excdavies/

I really like the WR450, and considered buying one, but after buying the EXC I never looked back. I really like being able to drive on roads.

John Davies

Jesse, 200 by summer!! HA. seen you the other day and you look like your going the wrong way!! JK. I want to street legal my WR450 and it seems impossible. think about that to. Ben Scott

You will need to run a JD jet kit right off the show room floor. They run way too lean stock. Reduce your squirt on the ac pump with a Honda diaphram. Regear to a 52T rear sproket.

Dwight :ride:

I don't understand your wife? Orange is sooo bitchen! No one else is orange. With blue you got suzuki and yamaha colours, and I've seen a few knockoff bikes blue.

Of course I guess you're gunna get more pro KTM guys (n gals) in a KTM forum, but they ALL look so good, if that helps in your pick.. I can see you have already done your homework on the mechanical.

Especially if you got a black truck, man they look good on there!

THey stand out, and alwayse look beautiful doing it!

If my woman said she liked blue better, that'd be all the more reason to get the orange! If she liked the orange (Which mine does), I'd go orange anyway.. haha

When you say orange, everyone knows what you mean, KTM's are respected.

I owned an '03' WR 450 and took one ride on a '06' EXC 450 and was sold hook line and sinker. I ride North Idaho trails and night and day difference in bikes. I hit most trails in a gear higher and handles outstanding. KTM has there sh*t figured out.