Sign in to follow this  

XR250: the legend

I'm glad there are still people who enjoy this bike. anyone know of the cheapest place to get an e-series for the xr250 (not and e2). I need to open mine up a little.

MAR,

White brothers no longer makes the pro-meg. Are you sure that the thumpertalk store can get them?

I am thinking about either the WB pro-meg or having thunder alley make one up. Does anyone know how many dB the pro-meg blows with 10 discs installed?

thanks,

jeff

I sold my Pro Meg WB on eBay for $130 a while back, and found a stock exhaust for $50.....do the gordon mods, same power, less noise, and spend the money else where on the bike. Note: gordon mods, +12 tooth front sprocket, +good tires, turns this bike into a fun woods bike and hill climber, IMO.

As far as noise, the Pro meg with ten disks barks as loud or louder than the stock without the baffle....a guy told me one time he thought several bikes where coming up the mountain and it was only me.

jozwales doesn't sound like an 'outlaw' any more. Good work putting that stock pipe back on. Our children will thank you when they can ride in the backcountry. :banghead:

The stock pipe is not bad when jetted properly, with a good air filter. You can add an exhaust insert to the stock pipe also to get that "open" pipe feel without all the noise. Folks here have reported on various inserts with good results.

well my xr250 ran great with the stock pipe and baffle-plug removed, but too darn loud. stuffed the plug back in, now it is pretty weak, pulls ok in the lower gears, sort of, but takes forever to wind up through 5th and wont even rev 6th all the way. pretty sad. so would like an aftermarket can, that performs well, but not loud. is this too much to ask?

I followed the gordon mods to a tee, drilled out the exhaust, took a grinder to the header welds, rejetted to 135/50, bought a uni filter, and finally added a 12 tooth front sprocket, collectively these made more of a difference than just having the WB Pro Meg....the noise at idle is similiar to my sons xr70, at full throttle it is slightly more than your average four wheeler....that WB muffler at idle sounded like a shovel hitting a wet blanket on a clothes line about 3 times a second, and at mid to full rpm, it roared, way too loud...I can now hear my boys behind me on their bikes, as well as any 2 smokers on the next ridge!! Follow the wealth of advice on TT, they are right 99.9% of the time. One of the guys on here goes as far as saying aftermarket exhaust systems are a waste of money, and through experience I totally agree. I sold mine and bought some Maxxis tires, now that is money well spent.

what are these gordon mods everyone is talking about? and what is drilling out the exhaust? I have the stupid end cap that has the baffle that can't be removed. stupid california.

look at the thread near the top of this forum that reads "Gordon Mods fors the XR400", it applies to the 250 as well...these mods take about 2-3 hours and around $50-$60...changing jets is simple, you dont even need to remove your carb, just rotate it a little, you may ask someone on here what size of jets they use near your elevation, I use 135/50 (600-2500 ft), the jets are $5-$6 in most catalogs, TT Store is probably selling them.....as far as drilling holes in the exhaust, the thread will explain in detail, but it is easy too, and you keep the total function of the spark arrestor...go for it, I'd say 75% of the XR250/400 owners on here have done it