Tell me what you think of this starter, replace?

Thanks for looking, I tore down the starter tonight and realise that looking at these brushes that they will need replacing, I am wondering about the starter though??

There was alot of carbon that fell out of the starter when I cracked and it seemed pretty dry. I will be replaciing the brushes tomorow, but from the looks of the rotor do yo uthink it needs replacing?

have a look at the pics.

http://bensville.customer.netspace.net.au/WR/starter/

thanks

duke2au

Your brush end bearing ( bush ) looks like it needs replacing also.remove the brushes by unsoldering then take the brush carrier out .Then screw a bolt or thread tap into bearing against the end plate to push it out.I could not get the bearing from yamaha so i went to a bearing shop and bought the closest size and had a mate run it down to fit in a lathe.My bike appeared to have a flat battery but it was a bad bearing letting the starter shaft go side ways.Took a while to find the problem.

Thanks for looking, I tore down the starter tonight and realise that looking at these brushes that they will need replacing, I am wondering about the starter though??

There was alot of carbon that fell out of the starter when I cracked and it seemed pretty dry. I will be replaciing the brushes tomorow, but from the looks of the rotor do yo uthink it needs replacing?

have a look at the pics.

http://bensville.customer.netspace.net.au/WR/starter/

thanks

duke2au

Toss that mess and put a new one in...... but, hey, that's just me! My 05 started going south after 3 months of use. I tossed that P.O.S. and put a nice new one on. Now she's happy! :banghead: I think it was assembled wrong from the factory, because the 2 long screws were misaligned, thus, wearing the bearing and brushes prematurely!

When you turn the motor from that shaft, is it supposed to spin freely, or does it have a kind of "rolling click" to it?

I am thinking back to my electric track mini race car days, and from what I remember it was sor of a rachet type feel when you rolled the back tires.

I just know how to take em apart, I'll be buggered if I know how they work...

thanks

Duke2au

Don't waste money buying a new one unless yours is bad. I assume it worked before you tore it apart. Just clean it up good, and check for damage. Wear is normal in a motor, and all of the carbon you are talking about is most likely from the wearing of the brushes. Replace the brushes, and if the commutator(the part the brushes ride against) has any grooves in it, you can chuck it up in a drill press or better yet a lathe and use some emery cloth to smooth it out. It will be good as new. Check the bushings and bearings out and replace them if necessary, but I would not expect to need that just yet. Hope this helps.

Josh