Sign in to follow this  

crf 88 VS. klx 110

i was just curious how much difference in power there would be between a 88cc crf and a stock klx110. i have ridden the tb 88cc but not a klx. i also have a crf 80 how would that compare also. thanks in advance

A 50 with a 88 Racehead motor will be a very good bit faster than a stock KLX110. I think stock the 110's are good for something like 5.5hp and the 88 Racehead is putting out 7.5hp.

And the 88 racehead motor will out run a crf80 as well.

I have a KLX110 with a 134 big bore kit and pipe, and it eats up a 88cc crf that I normally ride with. That and Im 6'3, so the klx is a lot more comfortable for me as well.

And the 88 racehead motor will out run a crf80 as well.

I think an XR80 with a pipe will give most 88 kits a very good run if not better it because of the 5spd. tranny I just put a 95cc kit in mine and I can pull away from my buddies new 88cc kit with race head, no problem. Mine is dynoing at 7.3hp at the wheel.

Well, your 95cc kit in the xr80 is running a higher compression piston, and probably cam as well right.

why is the klx so much slower than a 88cc crf if the klx has 22cc more displacement, i thought that displacement played a pretty big factor in 4 strokes. is there little things that can be done to a klx like a pipe,filter or maybe a cam to help it out. or is it the compression thats makes the difference also. is the klx closer to the crf 80 in power. that would seem wierd to me also, you would think that a 110 klx would be even faster or have more power than a crf 100. what am i missing here. again thanks i appreciate the info

There are many more factors at play in a motor than simply displacement. Just take a look at your typical chinese 125 motor, if cc's ment everythign they should be as fast as a 124 Honda right, but thats not the case, in fact, they are not even in the same universe. It has alot to do with compression, cams, head design, bike weight, etc. etc. lot of factors there.

Just run your 50 in all of the classes like I do. Get your moneys worth. I've never finished last even with a 75 kit in the 110 class. It's more fun being the underdog anyway.

There are many more factors at play in a motor than simply displacement. Just take a look at your typical chinese 125 motor, if cc's ment everythign they should be as fast as a 124 Honda right, but thats not the case, in fact, they are not even in the same universe. It has alot to do with compression, cams, head design, bike weight, etc. etc. lot of factors there.

Too true !!

back when i was into hotting up cars, a local pro drag racer once told me "no matter what class you run(cc's) it's all about cams and compression !" "big cams, big compression equels a big bang"

Obviously porting etc also play a big role :banghead:

funny now when i hear someone got a 107 or a 124 its like no big deal beacuse its probly not honda based. "duuude i gowtaa oneten motor in it!" "wanna race my 88?"

Well, sorry to burst every one of your bubbles in any universe you are in. But a stock klx110 will undoubtably beat an 88cc crf50. I know this for a fact because i myself watched my friend slam a two bros 88cc crf and a 108 xr with a 4 speed stomp shift. the klx creamed them in every gear and pulled them very hard in every gear, stock. Then after a bbr pipe, bbr filter kit, and rejet, he beat them by well over 100 feet. The crf50 motor revs too slow as an 88 or a 108. Unless you are running 13:1 compression with a pretty rad cam, mighty port n polish job, and quite the larger carb for a lot of air, THEN the 88 would give the 110 a run for its money. If you guys really want to talk about beastly pitbike motors, check out www.powroll.com and look at their 165 big bore stroker kit running 12.5:1 compression dynoed at over 20 hp to the rear wheel. How about that crf50 queers?

The man speaks the truth.

Slightly higher compression and a Hot cam which is fairly mild.

+1 👍

Well, sorry to burst every one of your bubbles in any universe you are in. But a stock klx110 will undoubtably beat an 88cc crf50. I know this for a fact because i myself watched my friend slam a two bros 88cc crf and a 108 xr with a 4 speed stomp shift. the klx creamed them in every gear and pulled them very hard in every gear, stock. Then after a bbr pipe, bbr filter kit, and rejet, he beat them by well over 100 feet. The crf50 motor revs too slow as an 88 or a 108. Unless you are running 13:1 compression with a pretty rad cam, mighty port n polish job, and quite the larger carb for a lot of air, THEN the 88 would give the 110 a run for its money. If you guys really want to talk about beastly pitbike motors, check out www.powroll.com and look at their 165 big bore stroker kit running 12.5:1 compression dynoed at over 20 hp to the rear wheel. How about that crf50 queers?

I doubt very much if they'd make 20 HP mate ! I checked Powroll out and ALL they claim is a 200% gain over stock . According to a Two Bros dyno chart stock KLX110's peak at 5.6 HP and their 130 kit peaks at 11 HP with a cam , pipe and 26 mm carb - so I doubt very much if an extra 35 cc will make an extra 9 HP on top of that - ESPECIALLY with a 22 mm carb . But I'd say the Powroll engine would most certainly be a hauler tho' !!!!! 👍

http://www.powroll.com/P_KAWSUZ_KLXDRZ110.htm

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Dyno_Charts/Kaw_KLX_StageKits_Dyno.pdf

Too true !!

back when i was into hotting up cars, a local pro drag racer once told me "no matter what class you run(cc's) it's all about cams and compression !" "big cams, big compression equels a big bang"

Obviously porting etc also play a big role 👍

your talking cc's at a car dragstrip??

I do some work with Powroll and design a few race motors over the years. Here is a good rule of thumb regarding HP.

A decent well built motor will make 1 HP for every 10cc to the rear wheel. Granted that can be beat with a highly refined motor but it is a good idea of what to expect.

Second point is dyno's. No two alike. Some are very close to one another but some are not. When we dyno we first start with a stock baseline run. Then everything we gain we refer to as % increase. Same percentage will occur on any dyno. Numbers are for bragging rights. I can take my 500 HP streetcar motor and one place will say 470 HP and other will show 525 HP. Still same motor.

Here is my word of advice. When ordering parts and having work done. Order all parts and work to be matched for same purpose. This is a proper combination so everything is in harmony. CC's/porting/cam/compression/induction/exhaust and even ignition should all be ordered for specific purpose. Low compression and biggest cam is a bad idea. Huge pipe and carb on stock motor is another.  One other thing is quality of head flow and amount. If you have a poor head your results will never be good. If you have a marginal headflow then proper porting will give your motor the chance to run. Then you can work on rest to get what you need.

I've got a stock KLX110L (stock airbox, exhaust, etc...) and it definitely "feels" more powerful than my 50 with a TB 88 racehead.

The 110L comes stock with a manual clutch and does not have the centrifugal clutch mounted on the crank so that probably makes a little difference.

Edited by RHanson94