Sign in to follow this  

Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier?

Need advice on which 05 model to get. Will be 4x4, diesel, not sure on auto or manual. The tacoma(in aust. is called hilux) was released about 6 months ago. The frontier( navara in aust.) is about to be released. Could I please get your objective opinions on 05 models only; what's good/bad about them. I'm also leaning toward the upper spec models for each (SR5 and ? nissan). Basically need to know if one is alot better than the other. Have any of your 4x4 magazines done comparisons - all help appreciated, B.

I'd prefer either a ford or chevy...but i'd get the Taco if given that choice

Well, I haven't driven a Toyota diesel PU since the late 80's... but I've been more than happy with my past two 4-Runners. The fit and finish of my Toyotas has been significantly better than my brother and sister's Nissans. Especially after the miles started piling up.

However... Nissan can build a REALLY nice engine. The new Nissan engines seem to put a bit more power to the ground than the Toyota. Of course, my only experience with them is with gas engines.

the chevy d/a hd is the best truck i have ever had , ( just kills the ford and doge hands down )

but i gotta say the toy is a super product,

i just love getting toy's in my shop , they are so easy to work with and almost never have any problems,

there quality is way better than gm's ( and i hate to say that,---but the truth is what it is )

god i have a 03 ford diesel in my shop now ( trans , and injectors )

and and 04 dodge (trans ).

the ford and doge stuff is kinda ok to work with , but the diagnosis and the quality is sad !

the little toy stuff is just so cool it is way better !

some of the gm stuff is good ,---but its not like the toy.

i wont even take a Nissan in my shop🤣

those things are a pile ,-----just run it off a cliff :banghead:

when toy gets there hd diesel truck out and working ( and they will )

( 4 new plants will be opened in usa next year )

toy will own the market, ford , gm, and dodge will be hurting units :banghead:

go with the yota!

mine has over 200,000 miles on it, and it runs great

He is talking about the Hilux, which is leaps and bounds better than our Tacoma. Without question, get the Hilux!!

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like there is no comparison; Toyota it is. Thought your Tacoma was the same as our Hilux (these have a bulletproof reputation here,and resale very good as a diesel). One last question to owners/mechanics. The manual/stick is $2000 cheaper than the auto., but only the auto comes with cruise control. Never owned a diesel before, so is it better with a stick or auto box? cheers, B.

Asked why not a chevy/ford? By the time they are converted to right hand drive and duty added etc, too expensive. For example, Ford diesel 4 door with all extras (F250) is about $70,000 , compared to high spec Hilux/tacoma is 52,000.

He is talking about the Hilux, which is leaps and bounds better than our Tacoma. Without question, get the Hilux!!

If the Hilux is good enough for the Taliban.....

I have to admit these Tacomas seemed to do a pretty good job.

Seriously though, I really do wish the Tacoma got the diesel that the Hilux gets. :banghead:

Can you tolerate not having cruise? I'd prefer the stick and could probably live without cruise. I havn't had it for awhile now... :banghead:

Here you can get cruise control on a manual shift truck, it's wierd they don't even offer it.