Sign in to follow this  

85 XR 350R or XR 400 a good choice? Anybody know where I can find one?

I may post a want ad, but I am also inquiring here to see if either of these bikes are a good idea.

Looking for either of these to dual-sport convert. Are either of these a good choice? I want a bike that can go trail riding, exploring, also want to be able to plunk around a motorcross track (no racing), and/or go over some no so huge jumps and/or whoops for fun without the bike falling apart. The reason I chose an 85 XR 350R or XR 400 is that I want a bike should be lighter than an XL 250 but have more torque and more power. I owned an 82 XL 250 and I want a bit more power. Are either of these suitable for this? I wish I could get a DRZ 400 dirt or dual sport, or a KLX 300, but I am limited in funds. I have barely $2400 or so to work with and I want to find something asap so I can poke around the trails before the snow flies. I put my first street bike, an 84 Yamaha Virago 500 on the road, but I really don't like the relatively high bars, low seat cruiser feeling, and really I want a dirt/dual-sport anyways. I'm selling the Virago for $2200 or best offer certified (15,676 KM's, new tires, battery etc) or I'd trade for a good condition XR 350R or XR 400. It would be a bonus if the bike was already dual-sported.

BTW...is an 83 XR 350R ok? It is the first year of the 350 and is dual-carbed, a drum front brake and no oil cooler.

ANybody know where I can find an 85 XR 350R in good shape for around $2000.00 or less? Or an XR 400 for say, $2500 or so? My cash limits me to the first model year or maybe up to a 99, but as long as its in good shape.

thanx for any feedback,

:banghead:

Buy my Crf450 it comes with street plate and street ownership. All you need is a brake light and you can ride on the road and track.

I live in ontario. Check my garage. It is going in the trader on friday.

If not I know where there is a xr250 for sale

Cheers

Maybe it's cheaper in ON, but it would be hard to find a good XR400 for under $2500 here in AB. If you can find one, or a bit more cash, I think you would be much better off getting an XR400 over the old 350. While there is nothing wrong with these bikes, the 400 will be a whole generation better (especially that rear disc brake) and finding parts will be much easier.

For your price range, you may also want to consider a Suzuki DR 350. They make pretty good trail bikes and they even made a dual sport version too.

I agree with Cedric, xr350 is rather old, xr400 much newer/better but will be hard to find. I owned a 92 DR350 for years and man it was a great bike. It was tough and reliable, handled great on trails and not too complicated to work on. It seemed Suzuki tried to copy the Xr's and did a very good job. They made 350's in both dirt and dualsport models, I owned the d/s version and hopped it up a bit. You may be set on Honda but I can tell you those DR's are every bit as good. You could find one in very good shape for your price range, they made them from 90 to I think 95, and in 93 they added an electric starter.

I suppose I could compromise and get a decent XR 250 and dual sport it and it would still be lighter than an XL 250 at least.

I had an old XR350. It was so bulletproof it was scary. I bought it cheap. The air filter was never put on it properly. The oil was whiter than my ass from moisture in it (The oil !!!). And it had been ran without a muffler for years. Fixed the filter, changed oil and filter, put a supertrapp on it. The thing ran like a top for 3 years of HARD riding. If I could find another one I'd buy it. The thing had quite a bit of power also for one of that generation. Just my two cents...

What year? I found an 83 for sale. Is that one ok? See above :banghead:

I had an 84'. They are old technology, but solid bikes. In their time they were da bomb as far as four strokes go. Dual carbs, 4 valves (i think). Nothin like todays bikes but they still have their place. I would'nt have sold mine except I needed money more than 2 bikes. They would be a good canadate for a dual sport conversion cause you can still get kits through baja designs ( or you could a year ago).

Can I fit a keyed ignition to any of these bikes to make it a complete dual-sport?

Can I fit a keyed ignition to any of these bikes to make it a complete dual-sport?

If I remember right, the baja designs kit came complete with keyed ignition. You can check it out at bajadesigns.com . Who knows, they may have discontinued the kit altogether.

The Xr350 was a good bike except some of the engine technology. Until i encountered one of these I had never heard of unreplaceable bottom end bearings. Apparently when the bottom end bearings go you have to buy the whole crank and rod one peice assembly for over 850 dollars and that was over 10 years ago. The crank and rod are pressed on at the factory and the bearings can't be replaced.

Wow. I just passed up an 85 XL 350 with bad crank bearings. I would have figured you could pull the bearing and pop another one on as long as you sourced it from the bearing manufacturer.

Maybe I'll go with an XR400 if I find one close enough and reasonable in price.

Are the dual-sport kits for the XR 400 similar? I'll check it out :banghead: