Sign in to follow this  

05 Te250

Picked up my new 05TE250 last week..put forty miles on it putting up arrows for our enduro.

Threw barbusters on it and ran a very tough South Jersey Enduro and I figured it would be a good opportunity to break in the suspension.

Best ride I ever had...came in second and got 100 Husky bucks too !!!

Coming off a 250 X, and I was not sure I made the right decision...but this ride sealed the deal.

I am so sick of valve checks from the Honda, but i'm gonna check em out...Do i gotta take the tank off...I know the manual says you have too...but it appears they may be enuff room to get the valve cover off.

Also, Air Filter changes....it looks a little tight in there any techniques use to make it easier without rubbing all the grease off on the the frame ?

Any reply appreciated.

:banghead:

yeah ditto once you do this you will laugh at honda Dont remove the blue side panles leave thos attached to the tank, simply unbolt that one main tank bolt under the seat up front center on the tank and the side rear panel bolts and lift the tank off.

In the time it would take you to get your hand under the tank to get the bolts out, you could have the tank off.

It's just one bolt and about 2 min. and the tanks off.

Hope you enjoy the Husky.

Yep-coming from a 250X you are gonna LOVE this bike. Its SO SO SO easy to work on. Makes ya realize what a joke the Honda is.

Checking the valves is super easy.

1) seat off

2) tank off

3) cover off

4) line up tdc--note little dots

5) feeler guage in.

Once you have the hang of it its a 5 minute proceedure.

If you need to change shims--something rarely needed on the Husky--then its also a VERY easy thing to do.

Congrats on doing so well in your race!!

Congatulations on your first Husky Bucks. The biggest reason to pull the tank off first is to clean the accumulated dirt from the frame and wire loom so you dont knock it into the engine while you work on it. That takes longer than the actual maintenance. It really is a 5 minute job to check and adjust the valves.

The airfilter goes in slightly sideways then rotate to set on the plate. It will wipe off some grease on the subframe and wiring but,oh well... That's just a fair trade off to change the filter in 1 minute :banghead:

ANOTHER QUESTION. OIL.

I searched the manual back and forth through alll five languages... What is the amount of oil the 05 Te250 takes. I really do not like using the weep hole.

Do you guys use the weep hole ? How about the oil change...Everytime you check the screens? I have done this for the first oil change.

Thanks for all the replies. great forum.

I use the weep hole. Just make sure that you get the weep hole bolt good an tight.

About 25ft# :banghead:

No! Please don't do that. Just be careful when tightening the weep hole bolt. It is hard to fix. I stripped one on a 98 KTM and had to tap a larger bolt.

It works though. Just wish it had a nice big window.

I would check the screens for sure for the first few rides. You will probably find some small foriegn matter.

I just check mine every other time, but I change oil often. and after every race.

Thanks!

Tony

manual has the oil capacity. 1.4 liters on my 510 i measured it then double checked the weep hole, but now I just add 1.4L and never check the weep hole no more

My '04 510 starts to weep out at about 1 to 1.1 litre of oil, depending on if the screens and filter are done at the same time. If I put 1.4 L in it the extra oil just comes out the breather into the airbox and drips down all over the front of the swingarm. 1.1 to 1.2 L is the amount I use.

I also had a 98 KTM 300 that did that. One problem I found was the KTM plug would not screw into the case all the way so there was still some threads there. I found a nylon tapered/threaded plug that went in there perfect. I never removed it again, just changed the oil and put in the amount it called for.

My Last Husky (2000 TE610) did not have a way to check the oil. The original side cover had a window, but first time I rode it I put the shifter through it. I bought a billet cover that did not have the window, used to just change the oil and put in the amount it called for.

Just be careful when tightening the weep hole bolt. It is hard to fix. I stripped one on a 98 KTM and had to tap a larger bolt.

Thanks!

Tony