Sign in to follow this  

Return to stock exhaust on 400E

Hello there and good morning.

This past weekend, I joined the ranks of DRZ owners. I picked up a 2002 400E so that I can go dirtbiking with my son. I've had a street bike (Volusia 800 at present) for a while, but this is a new foray to myself. I've been lurking on this site and really appreciate all the viewpoints.

I checked out the FAQ's, but I couldn't;t find a definitive answer to this question. This probably sounds like a strange questions.

The bike I bought has an FMF Powercore 4 pipe on it that is a lot louder than I'm really excited about. I'd like to get the bike a little quieter. The power aspect is not a big deal at present as my main goal is to ride with my 9 yr old son. I read some of the posts about repacking or adding a quiet core insert. With this really hep to lower the sound?

Or would I be better off to find someone who has a stock pipe they would like to get rid of? If I find a stock pipe, which models are interchangeable? Can the 400S pipes go on the 400E.

Hope I'm not creating a repeat of an old refrain here. Seems like my problem is the opposite of most people's questions. Power is not the big deal as much as quiet.

I dont know if they will fit, but I have a stock pipe for an 05 S. I just got a yoshi SR3 and as soon as I get it mounted, I'll be looking to get rid of the Stock for a descent price.

Hi ...

I have a 2002 S model bike, that has the stock system on it,and also brought a stock 2002 E complete system from a friend that brought a aftermarket system for his e model.... The E system is complete from tip to tip, I have not installed on my S yet, but was thinking about doing this winter. Maybe we could work something out, let me know...

The S head pipe has a narrower diameter then the E and one of the brackets that is welded to the S pipe is located slightely in a diffrent area because of the rear foot peg bracket. The S is also much more restrictive then the E, Don't put a S pipe on your E..

Thanks...

Would you consider a trade for a stock system?

I think the "S" and "E" pipes have a different mid mount. No show-stopper.

You'll most likely need to re-jet your carb after swapping pipes back to stock. Assuming th eoriginal owner properly jetted it after installing the FMF pipe.

Another option for you is to keep the FMF pipe and stick a stock can on the end of it.

Welcome to TT :banghead: Do not put a s system on your e, I see stock e pipes on E-bay all the time and they go for next to nothing, the Quite insert helps but it is really just a cork, have you cosidered any other aftermarket quite pipes?

Just buy and unmodified E system complete. Or trade for your system. Just make sure the stock E system is complete and not butchered up especially the end cap that everybody likes so much to modify. System value is about $50 to $100 if it is really nice.

I'll sell you my stock 400 E slip on cheap. Do you have a full system (I'm not familiar with FMFs)? Has a slight ding (or maybe it's supposed to have an indentation for where the pipe passes the shock.)

I'm already thankful I found this site. Looks like the quick answer is to try and find a stock 400E and put that on the bike.m And then make sure the bike is jetted properly to accomodate.

I'll probably keep the FMF pipe for now. I'm one of those people that likes to keep things for future use.

Thanks for all the help and the personal messages as well.