Wave brake rotor for XR650R?

I damaged the front brake rotor on my 650R. Luckily I have a second set of wheels, so I have some time to shop around for a replacement. Since I'll have to shell out for a new rotor anyway I was thinking about getting a wave or petal style rotor.

Does anybody besides Galfer make them for the XRR?

Do they offer improved braking over stock, or is it just for weight saving/looks?

Thanks, 4Takt

I have the dirt-sized (270mm) Braking wave rotor on my XR650R.. I think it's the same one that Honda runs on their Baja 1K bikes, but not sure. The package comes with the disk, billet adapter and a set of braking brake pads; it also costs quite a penny, at something like $280 or close to that :banghead:. Anywho, had it to do over again, I probably would have gotten the EBC rotor. It's a bit larger at 280mm which is why I stayed away initially (several people on the CRF forum complained that it was too grabby for dirt), but this bike weighs substantially more than a CRF so the extra brake power probably wouldn't hurt. The EBC also isn't a 'wave' style rotor, but at the $150 or so savings, you could warp 2 EBCs for the price of a braking rotor.

Another issue I had was availability. Most major distributor catalogs stock the Braking rotors for every bike but the XR650R (but they do stock the rear wave rotor for the BRP, for reasons I can't imagine). To get mine, my dealer made a special order request from Parts Unlimited for 2 rotors for my 2 XR's. The first one came OK, but the second has been on back order for close to 8 months. Apparently, Braking had some falling out with their US distributor (I think it was Motion Pro, but not positive), so getting their disks is a pain.

Whatever you get though, go oversized. It makes a HUGE difference with this bike. :banghead:

Thanks ferguscawley, but I definitely wouldn't want to go anywhere near that big.

I ride in the dirt mostly, and I wasn't really dissatisfied with the stock brake performance. With a rotor that huge I know I'd hit it in the rocks and deep ruts all the time. That's what got my stock rotor bent.

4Takt

if you buy the braking oversize 260mm kit I have an extra 260mm rotor i'll sale you for your spare wheel. the braking 260mm and ebc 280mm require a caliper spacer which is included in the kit.

How much are you selling the spare 260mm for?

I want to set up a 17" set of wheels and a stock set, and I don't think I want to go to the full supermoto 280mm rotors.

Naru, is this the rotor you're talking about?

http://cyclepages.com/ProductGroupDisp.aspx?ProductGroupID=4003298

Yup, that's it. Looks like the price went up though; but steel prices have been blowing up too, so that's expected I guess. But as I said, I'd still go with that rotor over the Braking setup. The Braking disk just costs too much for what it is; probably do in no small part to paying royalties on the 'wave' design copyright.