Sign in to follow this  

New Husky Owner with an old question.........

I have a new 04 TC 450 headed my way and am aware of the jetting issues. I am located in Nash, Tn. and i'm looking for the right jetting combo so i can straighten it out before its first ride. I have a Gas Gas 200 also that had the same problem but i figured it out since i am a 2 stroker and making the conversion to a 4 stroker.

I had the choice of the TE-250 or the TC-450 and i took the jump to the bigun. I hope it isn't to much. I am just not sure that the 250 will have enough :banghead: behind it, i haven't ridden a new 250 thumper and can only compare it in my head to an ole XR 250. I was a 125'er (A class) while racing the local hare scrambles and have ridden a few of my buddies thumpers, 400EXC's, 525EXC's, YZF's, CRF's, etc. and don't have a problem at all. The only open bike that i have had and raced a couple of times was a 96 360EXC, it was a monster and i guess the 450 is gonna follow in its tracks. Any info or pointers you guys can throw at me would be great.

If it's too much for you, just gear it up and it'll take the edge off the low end.

It's geared too low anyway!

Also, just break the bike in for a couple hundred miles real mellow before dealing with the jets. For the time being, you can just run the idle up a little bit to keep it from dropping out on you...usually stalls when you suddenly drop off the throttle and go straight to idle speed when new.

Wikle is correct on the break in. Break it in before you start jetting it. Play with the mix screw and set the preload to zero.

I have a new TC (Mikuni) jet kit if you or any one else is interested. Also 2 twin air filters. Nothing wrong with them I just like another brand better.

Also try the gearing while you are breaking in. For the woods you might like the lower gearing. Actually I find the TC lower gears a little high for the knarly woods, rocks, roots and such.

It's really no monster unless you want it to be :banghead:

Very fun bike!

Thanks!

Tony

Yeah, i think the gearing might be a little tall for here, expecially being a 5 speed in the woods. Would you drop 1 in the front or add 2 or just 1 teeth to the rear?

The tight stuff these race guys setup usually are very rooty and slimy. The rocky parts usually aren't that bad either but of course fo the first ride it will be at a place that is very rocky, it is at Loretta Lynns, same place a GNCC is held every April. There is a weekend ride there the 21-23 of this month put on by Southern Woods Rider. Check it out at www.southernwoodsrider.com.

Is the jetting issue just totally wrong as in pilot, needle and main all needing to be changed, or is it just 1 or 2 of the bunch?

Just try down one on the countershaft sproket for now. That is all you should need to gear it down a bit. The jetting issue depends on where you are and how the bike runs. A lot of the bikes are fine right out of the box. Normally the '04s were a little lean in the main jet, you could go up one or two but then you could make it harder to hot start by going too rich. Set the AP preload to zerof. Just see how she runs first. You can get the jets at any mothorcycle shop. I have been personally involved in four brand new '04 TC/TE 450's and a 510. All ran great right out of the box. We just tweaked the jetting a bit for grins. The mains are large Mikuni.

Hello Drwrench,

Your not far from me (south of Nashville), while I don't have info for the 450, I did have to fine tune my TE250, so I many be able to help some.

I sent you a PM

brown